PDA

View Full Version : Another crazy mod: diff oil cooler belt driven

Bruno
03-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Dinan used to do it... why not me :-)
I know that it would be easier to use a Tilton electrical pump, but I am running vintage and the car has to be to spec and BMW was using a 1/2 shaft belt driven pump.

See picture here: http://bmwe34.wetpaint.com/page/Differential+oil+cooler

Sounds like a fun thing to do, add any cooments you have.

Jon K
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Very interesting - I guess I can see the "vintage" thing, but its still soo goofy!

Bruno
03-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Very interesting - I guess I can see the "vintage" thing, but its still soo goofy!

Actually some nascar teams were using the same principle, might have been off the driveshaft, I cannot find any pictures of a nascar diff with a belt driven cooler.

It is a funny project to do non the less, and will keep the car vintage spec.

Ross
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Is there enough heat generated in a vintage race to need this? Or is this to extend oil life?

Bruno
03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Is there enough heat generated in a vintage race to need this? Or is this to extend oil life?

Might be ok for a 30 min race. But if I can keep my diff cooler and keep it longer, I might as well retrofit a pump.

winfred
03-11-2008, 09:53 PM
some road racers run the alternator off the driveshaft in the back of the car, id run the pump off the driveshaft for more pump speed and theres a good bit of room in front of the subframe on the right side where they eventually put that huge resonator on the 88-89s, i have been thinking about building pumps for my truck for the diff and tranny and probably will if i start doing long hauls, id use a small power steering pump and a filter