PDA

View Full Version : Leave Sub-Frame Mounts in Freezer til....?

Jehu
03-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Till right before you want to put them in like after the old are out or should you let them sit at room temp at all. To me they don't seem at all like they'd be in danger of cracking if they'd been in a freezer for a few days but if there are any tips please let them fly. Having this done in a few days and just got the mounts and new bolts .

e34.535i.sport
03-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Till right before you want to put them in like after the old are out or should you let them sit at room temp at all. To me they don't seem at all like they'd be in danger of cracking if they'd been in a freezer for a few days but if there are any tips please let them fly. Having this done in a few days and just got the mounts and new bolts .

I slapped mine in the night before and took them out after I had the old ones out (one at a time!). I done a full write up on the job do a search on rear subframe bushes replacement or something like that - It can be a PITA but if you get stuck just holla!

Jehu
03-11-2008, 12:26 PM
I slapped mine in the night before and took them out after I had the old ones out (one at a time!). I done a full write up on the job do a search on rear subframe bushes replacement or something like that - It can be a PITA but if you get stuck just holla!

Good enough. I am having a small shop do it. He has a lift and says he has the puller tool as well as a sawzall in case they don't come out with that. I will dowse the bolts with WD-40 though today and the parts are in the freezer now. He'll charge me $60/hr. so I hope your insight saves me some cake!

e34.535i.sport
03-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Good enough. I am having a small shop do it. He has a lift and says he has the puller tool as well as a sawzall in case they don't come out with that. I will dowse the bolts with WD-40 though today and the parts are in the freezer now. He'll charge me $60/hr. so I hope your insight saves me some cake!

You may as well leave the rear seat off and the parcel shelf save the shop guys removing it all... With a puller tool they could have it done in an hour/hour and a half max I'd hope!

You should have a bash yourself, then use the $$$ to fill the tank... :p

whiskychaser
03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Mine were in the freezer a few weeks let alone a few days:) Took each one out when I was ready to install and not a moment sooner. It would have made more sense if I did the job in summer-car at +20deg C and bush at
+0. If your man has a ramp, a puller and a sawzall he will eat the job in a couple of hours.

Jehu
03-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I decided to use the more BMW oriented local Indy Guru since I have other Issues I'll need him for and I can consult when he does this. I suppose I could rent the Puller, and find soemone with ramp stands and a jack since my Condo Lifetsyle deprives me of adequate storage area for such large and dirty things. Carrying a huge trolly jack up three flights of stairs and stowing it in my bedroom just doesn't seem rational somehow,lol. I'll give a shour when its done next Tuesday and give the damage and my impressions of the difference to the ride.