PDA

View Full Version : Time to replace the clutch

etcetera
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
The clutch is getting weak on my 93 525i. I was screwing around in a puddle and grabbed 2nd and got nothing but slippage and a cabin full of roast clutch smell.

Anyways, I'm looking at options for getting rid of the dual mass flywheel. I know it might be possible to use an older flywheel and machine it, then use a different throwout bearing, but I haven't found anyone who has actually done that, so I'll probably buy a kit.

There is a kit on ebay that eliminates it with all new parts for about $450
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&viewitem=&item=320131651418&_trksid=p3907.m29

And for around $575 I can get the complete setup with an aluminum Fidanza flywheel and sachs components.

There might be a lightweight steel flywheel available for around $450, but I have to call to confirm.

Anyone have experience dumping the DMF?

filip00
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
when i replaced my clutch kit 2 yrs ago, i bought SACHS set, it includes the "hat/basket", the clutch, and the bearing....it all cost about $200 and it's working just fine...i'm satisfied with it.

etcetera
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
My dual mass flywheel is pretty noisy, so I'm going to replace it too. A new DMF is $$$, and I don't like them anyways. I could replace just the pressure plate and disc for under $150, but I'd still have the noisy DMF.