PDA

View Full Version : way way OT. evinrude 35hp

mattyb
03-10-2008, 03:39 AM
OK guys I know this is way OT but maybe there is a chance someone has knowledge of what I need.

I bought a 13 ft tinnie the other day for a bargin price and the motor was kind of a bonus really. The seller told me that the Evinrude 35, (maybe 1978?) had a gearbox issue in that it slipped under load. Ive had a look and cant see if there is a location to check gearbox fluid if there is one at all?

I have not been able to get the motor running yet, alas tried tonight and enjoyed an inpromptu rowing expidition which wasnt so bad, but wasnt the idea of getting a boat.

if anyone has any experience with this type of motor any tips would be welcome.(its the first boat i have bought)

PS: i have searched a few boating forums but have tried here as I have been accustomed to quality info and know most of us know a little of something else here and there more than just Beemers.

cheers in advance

mattyb

Ferret
03-10-2008, 04:08 AM
I bought a 13 ft tinnie the other day

That's one hell of a beercan! </chav joke>

Sorry couldnt resist!

Dont know much about boat motors, is it an inboard or an outboard unit? If it's an outboard motor I would expect it to have a centrifugal clutch (just... on some units) which may be what's slipping?

Slap up some photos of it?

mattyb
03-10-2008, 05:44 AM
thanks Ferret, the gearbox is operated by what they call a clutch dog. a sharp tooth mechanism that is slammed into gear rather than a gentle shift. i just found some stuff on a boat forum that has helped a bit.its an outboard by the way, why cant BM do boats??????

thanx for the reply anyways

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-10-2008, 07:00 AM
The gearbox level is a small plug opened by a flat screwdriver just above the bottom gearbox.The gears are operated by a rod which shold run down in front of the drive shaft housing, chances are the problem is clag on the shaft causing it not to move far enough to engage the gears properly.Flush the carb/carbs through with a mix of acetone to get the crud out and it`ll run for ever! Cover it with WD40 to stop corrosion.

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Oh, BMW did do boat motors, the 4 pot 318 engine and the pre-vanos 2,5,bloody good but too well engineered so no re-sales!

duckloads
03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Iv'e had 2-3 Johnson / Evinrude (the same) engine that you speak of. If the unit is popping out of gear, you problably have a worn shifter dog. If your motor is an old syle unit where the exhaust DOES NOT go through the prop, then you can swap the foward and reverse gear with each other (they're the same) and flip the shifter dog around. this might also work with an exhaust through the hub gearcase.

What that down is to put the reverse gear (seldom used and stressed) in the foward gear position. Same goes with the shifter dog. That might buy you some time before you go out and buy new gears and shifter dog.

whatever you do, please get a repair manual.

indierthanthou
03-10-2008, 03:58 PM
You also could rebuld the bottom end and replace the dog, iirc, theyre about $40

gale
03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I rebuilt the bottom end of my 1970 1350 Merc a few years ago. Probably a very similar design for your Evenrude. They are simple to work on. It does sound like clutch dogs. A new clutch dog should be pretty cheap. The gear dogs are probably also rounded over. You can find a small machine shop to build the gear dogs back up with hardface weld and grind them to size & that will eliminate needing to replace the gears & will last longer than new gears. When you do get it back together, be very abrupt when putting it into gear, don't ease it.

Here's a salvage yard in the States that has just about every boat motor known to man and sells individual parts:

http://www.twincityoutboard.com/

Good luck with it. I learned to ski behind a 35 hp Evenrude many decades ago.

gale
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
why will it last longer? Is the hardface weld material more wear resistant than the steel that the dogs are usually made of?

Yeah, if you can find a shop that can TIG weld a small bead on the worn corners of the dogs with hardface filler rod & then grind the dog profile to size, they will last much longer than the original gears.

rob101
03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
You can find a small machine shop to build the gear dogs back up with hardface weld and grind them to size & that will eliminate needing to replace the gears & will last longer than new gears.

why will it last longer? Is the hardface weld material more wear resistant than the steel that the dogs are usually made of?

Zeppa
03-11-2008, 12:55 AM
yes , hardfacing is more wear resistant .

mattyb
03-11-2008, 03:16 AM
wow, thanks guys thats all been helpful information and a far more substantial result that i thought Id get. We took the boat out this afternoon and it ran like a dream after spending a few hours on the engine today.

on the way back and giving her a bit, well more than a bit, the gear slipped just like a cars auto box does. not too worried as we just want to put about. caught a handul of sand whiting of good size; wish we could some to the bimmer brithers O/S for your help!!