PDA

View Full Version : What are the proper sizes for the V belts on an M30 ?

Chad535
05-22-2004, 08:24 AM
I don't have the manuals, and by the way these belts look ... i think it is better to change them.

George M
05-22-2004, 09:16 AM
you don't have an owner's manual? As I recall, the three belt sizes are spec'ed in the thin owner's manual that comes with the car.
HTH,
George

Unregistered
05-22-2004, 01:29 PM
If you follow the owner's manual recomendation for the AC belt, then: 1.) You'll have a very difficult time getting it on, and; 2.) You may be stuck somewhere on the shoulder of a road, unable to get it off so you can get to & change, say, the water pump belt.

Get a 12.5mm X 875mm Gates kevlar belt, so you can get it on and off more easily, without resort to a crowbar or buggering the rack and pinion tensioner.

Alternatively, remove the rack and pinion bolt from the car, to make a bit more room to slacken the belt and pry it off.

George M
05-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I simply pull the tensioner pinion bolt and lean the compressor over and slip the belt on the AC pulley. No question the AC belt is the hardest and BMW arguably missed the proper nominal belt length...has been written about a lot. Never force a belt over a pulley.
George

Chad535
05-23-2004, 08:09 AM
I don't have the manuals, and by the way these belts look ... i think it is better to change them.

Thanks a lot guys....what about the 2 other belts (PS, and fan) ?