PDA

View Full Version : step 1 - remove shovel from boot

525i winter driver
03-09-2008, 11:50 AM
step 2 - dig way to boot.... d'oh!

repenttokyo
03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
mine was like that too, took my gf and i 2 hours to shovel out both cars.

btw folks, that happened overnight where 525 driver and i live.

525i winter driver
03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
that storm was psycho- well ... all that's left for me to do now is the driveway ... d'oh! one good thing about having a black car is that you only have to remove about half the snow from the top and the sun does the rest. - doesn't help around the sides tho. next year i'm going to build a garagloo.

Jehu
03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
You keep that crap out there. This was a record year for snowfall in NH. Winter seems to be losing its grip. It rained heavily last two days,much of the snow is melted if not the mountains left from plowing. I am not willing to accept anymore snow so ,soo just... just keep it..lol

winfred
03-09-2008, 04:54 PM
whats that white **** all over everything, we ain't got dat down here :D

Paul in NZ
03-10-2008, 02:24 AM
i cant even think how you guys drive in the winter....I know you cant drive in that stuff(unless the plough comes),but i wouldnt contemplate driving.

mattyb
03-10-2008, 03:41 AM
never mind global warming will take care of that soon

repenttokyo
03-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Just did 750 dollars worth of damage to my car when the door caught on a frozen chunk of ice in my driveway while pushing the car backwards out of a rut. I feel like the world's biggest idiot. The door opened 90 degrees outward. Anyone have a calypsorot door they want to sell?

RallyD
03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I did the same thing once. only thing was that I was 13 years old.

Montreal525
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
i cant even think how you guys drive in the winter....I know you cant drive in that stuff(unless the plough comes),but i wouldnt contemplate driving.

Actually, the E34 is quite the snow plow, for a rear wheel drive vehicule. In five years, I've gotten stuck and had to use traction aids only 3 times... And 2 of them were in the last 5 days.... Good snow tires make the E34 a quite capable winter car...

Here are a couple of pics from around my house, taken Sunday... I lived just north of Montreal and we got hit good last Saturday... We're going for the absolute record which is 383 cm of snow, in 70-71... We are at 347 cm... I say go for it...:D

Notice that in the third picture, I'm on the highest point of the snow bank on my front lawn... I would say 10 feet easy...

Jeff

525i winter driver
03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Actually, the E34 is quite the snow plow, for a rear wheel drive vehicule. In five years, I've gotten stuck and had to use traction aids only 3 times... And 2 of them were in the last 5 days.... Good snow tires make the E34 a quite capable winter car...
agreed it's does way way better than most cars - i haven't been stuck (beyond shoveling of course) yet although i practically shYt my pants every time i reverse through the narrow icy alleyway into my back yard parking space.

525i winter driver
03-10-2008, 08:11 PM
that sucks ben :(

the way the snow hardens into ice is just brutal.... for anything - walking, shoveling driving it is so nasty right now.

525i winter driver
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
ok so even for us this is pretty mental, so i took my camera to work today and went snap-happy as i drove around. in case you are planning on visiting us during the winter months (are you insane?)... keep an eye out for the tourist traps. these are actual traps - if you don't believe it answer this: why is the trap-savvy montrealer outside the mcdonald's putting a crash helmet on after he parks his car??????

you only have to be moderately quick to avoid a slow death in the bus and phone "shelters", but the icicle throwers are viscious and death by recycling box avalanche is extremely unpleasant.

seriously though, a lot of people are killed by snow ploughs every year... if you see (or hear you crazy ipod people) a snow plough coming get the fXck out of the way sooner than later!

525i winter driver
03-10-2008, 08:15 PM
dodge trucks and vans are very good in snow i find, but there is a limit. and in case you guys are wondering about that e30 across the street, it's still there... i think...

tourist trap #4 - the 'snowbait pothole trap' ... snow is piled in front of a sign to distract driver enough to cause him to drive straight into the giant pothole which, after destroying the front end, sends the car straight into the snowpile... tourist beware, this is a very very expensive trap.

also beware the dual-hole "4x4 alley-immobilizer" and whatever you do, look out for the mail trucks!:D

Bo525i
03-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Omg, thank god spring is just around the corner here :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.hawaii-usa.net/assets/images/diamond-head02.jpg

It's sunny, upper 70's today.:D

stx133
03-11-2008, 12:01 AM
in Melbourne Australia it will be over 30c (85f) for the next 5-7 days

RockJock
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
2 the guys in Montreal -- That snow looks wet and heavy! How much of it is left? I may have to move a car from Montreal out west at the end of April and I've been contemplating driving it....non stop...48hrs :D :D or so...I'm just wondering what I could expect for weather?! If it's unpredictable I may just recommend shipping it... TIA

repenttokyo
03-18-2008, 08:51 PM
I suppose it depends on spec, however mine with wide tyres, no asc and no lsd is THE worst car in the snow i have ever had. The slightest hint of snow and i loose traction and its one very heavy car to push

i assume you have winter tires? i take mine on winter rallyes on unplowed roads and never get stuck, with good winters. no asc, but i do have an lsd, which helps a lot.

DanDombrowski
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Wow, that amount of snow is crazy. I'll have to think about that at the beach on Friday. It might get down to 65 this weekend though.

billy
03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
agreed it's does way way better than most cars - i haven't been stuck (beyond shoveling of course) yet although i practically shYt my pants every time i reverse through the narrow icy alleyway into my back yard parking space.

I suppose it depends on spec, however mine with wide tyres, no asc and no lsd is THE worst car in the snow i have ever had. The slightest hint of snow and i loose traction and its one very heavy car to push

Dave M
03-19-2008, 02:43 AM
2 the guys in Montreal -- That snow looks wet and heavy! How much of it is left? I may have to move a car from Montreal out west at the end of April and I've been contemplating driving it....non stop...48hrs :D :D or so...I'm just wondering what I could expect for weather?! If it's unpredictable I may just recommend shipping it... TIA

You might get wet, but the odds of it snowing are 'almost' nil. I used to go to school in New Brunswick and work the summers in BC. Have fun on your drive and stop in Thunder Bay for breakfast at the Hoito :D

Dave

RockJock
03-19-2008, 09:16 AM
You might get wet, but the odds of it snowing are 'almost' nil. I used to go to school in New Brunswick and work the summers in BC. Have fun on your drive and stop in Thunder Bay for breakfast at the Hoito :D

Dave

Thanks Dave! I had to look that up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hoito ;)

Could be a fun trip, If I do it I'll make sure to look you up.....

Jehu
03-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I have completely conquered my fears of driving in snow. These weren't little girly whining fears just concerned about sliding and damaging the body... I drove this car in all kinds of horrible winter weather this season and made it thru fine and without Snow Tires, just used regular all-season tires. You name it i drove it. freezing rain and sleet coated roads unplowed layer of packed snow on dark back state roads thru the middle of nowhere many times. I laugh at it now.. almost gonna miss it...

525i winter driver
03-19-2008, 12:18 PM
plenty of snow left it snowed last night - it's raining now, that will turn into ice tonight and it's supposed to snow and rain. the roads are clear of snow but beware of battleship-sized potholes. if the car is stored inside or being driven you'll be fine but if it's outside bring a shovel... err, maybe 2 shovels and a friend. that's now tho - april is usually ok but this year anything could happen it's insaaaaaaane.

i found a gas tank and a windshield (need them bad) at a local scrapyard but they said they won't be able to get to the car until april! that's gotta be bad for business...

repenttokyo
03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I have completely conquered my fears of driving in snow. These weren't little girly whining fears just concerned about sliding and damaging the body... I drove this car is all kinds of horrible winter weather this season and made it thru fine and without Snow Tires, just used regular all-season tires. You name it i drove it. freezing rain and sleet coated roads unplowed layer of packed snow on dark back state roads thru the middle of nowhere many times. I laugh at it now.. almost gonna miss it...

if you lived where we live, after a snowfall, your car would not move at all on all season tires. not one inch. we get 6 to 10 inches at a time, for a light snowfall. I guess you didn't check out the pictures posted in this thread?

525i winter driver
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
if you lived where we live, after a snowfall, your car would not move at all on all season tires. not one inch. we get 6 to 10 inches at a time, for a light snowfall. I guess you didn't check out the pictures posted in this thread?
yeah, come here and say that Jehu! all-seasons are a definite no go on a heavy rwd here. you can tell right away who doesn't have them the first snowfall - they are all the cars getting towed.
but for sure night-blizzard conditions can be really friggn hairy. enough to conquer any 'blind faith' troubles you have.
next year it will be the law for all vehicles in quebec (i think or is it just montreal?) to be equipped with snow tires after a certain date. [fXck they will be so expensive here next year!] it's a good law i think, although before it was just the first couple of weeks you needed to be careful... the cars left on the road after that have winter tires. then you just have to watch out for tourists from nearby states!;)
next year i've got to try and find winter wiper blades or something, mine are %$@#ed anyway - anyone ever try installing smaller winter-type blades?

repenttokyo
03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
yeah, come here and say that Jehu! all-seasons are a definite no go on a heavy rwd here. you can tell right away who doesn't have them the first snowfall - they are all the cars getting towed.
but for sure night-blizzard conditions can be really friggn hairy. enough to conquer any 'blind faith' troubles you have.
next year it will be the law for all vehicles in quebec (i think or is it just montreal?) to be equipped with snow tires after a certain date. [fXck they will be so expensive here next year!] it's a good law i think, although before it was just the first couple of weeks you needed to be careful... the cars left on the road after that have winter tires. then you just have to watch out for tourists from nearby states!;)
next year i've got to try and find winter wiper blades or something, mine are %$@#ed anyway - anyone ever try installing smaller winter-type blades?

tim - go to cantire (can't believe i just typed that) and get the reflex wipers - they work great on my car, snow / rain/ whatever. and they aren't too pricey.

525i winter driver
03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
tim - go to cantire (can't believe i just typed that) and get the reflex wipers - they work great on my car, snow / rain/ whatever. and they aren't too pricey.
wait - you shop at canadian tire? what kind of forum is this? :D
those things look so cheesy in the package but i'm cheap enough to give it a go - they will clip right onto the arms? what size did you get? i was thinking of getting smaller blades than the factory 22".

Jehu
03-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Snow pack is snow pack isn't it? I mean of course if you're snowed in under 12" of fresh snowfall and the road isn't plowed at all what can anyone do but weather there's six inches packed down or two if its packed its the same. if its fresh and just unplowed sure it'd be hard. I did get stuck briefly on a hill in such stuff but i still made it thru and that was in about 8" not plowed just some prior driving to pack down a few tracks but i did eventually manage after a few tries to get up and over. If i had to contend with not only the frequency of our snowfall this year but your magnitude i'd have to have something studded, sure. Its Spring now though you may not be able to tell for a while,lol...

repenttokyo
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
i went with 22, works great.

bad_manners_god
03-19-2008, 11:29 PM
I had a couple of friends with the reflex and if there's even a hint of ice on the blade, then clean like garbage.

The first snowfall we had around late november, early december. I had my car with 17's Summer Performance Tires and I'm on Gouin in the right lane not even able to give gas or the ass would slide to the right.

I ended up sliding sideways for most of gouin boulevard till I got to the 13 (I was coming from Pierrefond Blvd)

repenttokyo
03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
I had a couple of friends with the reflex and if there's even a hint of ice on the blade, then clean like garbage.

i have two reflex wipers on my car, all winter, and they clean great. they were recommended by a rally driver friend who also uses them in the winter.

repenttokyo
03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Snow pack is snow pack isn't it? I mean of course if you're snowed in under 12" of fresh snowfall and the road isn't plowed at all what can anyone do but weather there's six inches packed down or two if its packed its the same. if its fresh and just unplowed sure it'd be hard. I did get stuck briefly on a hill in such stuff but i still made it thru and that was in about 8" not plowed just some prior driving to pack down a few tracks but i did eventually manage after a few tries to get up and over. If i had to contend with not only the frequency of our snowfall this year but your magnitude i'd have to have something studded, sure. Its Spring now though you may not be able to tell for a while,lol...

no dude. sorry. there's a huge difference between 'getting through some snow' after a few attempts, and driving 85 mph in a snowstorm or daily driving on a constant snow pack ,especially when it comes to stopping safely. whatever got you stuck in summer tires is a total joke to get through with winters. below zero, your all season tires turn to bricks and have the softness of a hockey puck. mega unsafe.

Montreal525
03-21-2008, 12:23 AM
no dude. sorry. there's a huge difference between 'getting through some snow' after a few attempts, and driving 85 mph in a snowstorm or daily driving on a constant snow pack ,especially when it comes to stopping safely. whatever got you stuck in summer tires is a total joke to get through with winters. below zero, your all season tires turn to bricks and have the softness of a hockey puck. mega unsafe.

He's right Jehu, the thread is different on a winter tire, helping it bite in the snow but the main thing is when it gets real cold, say below -10 celcius, you all-seasons tires are not worth jacks**t... That is a principle that a LOT of people have difficulty understanding here... All season tires are good for a little bit of everything... But when you get a lot of something, ie winter, you need the right tires. I agree with the law forcing people to put winter tires on... I'm just really disappointed that it had to come to that and people need to be forced to do something that is so basic for our climate...

Jeff

525i winter driver
03-21-2008, 07:25 AM
below zero, your all season tires turn to bricks and have the softness of a hockey puck.
good analogy - hockey pucks need a 'push' to get going and don't stop until they hit a wall, a post, a net, or a person. and they can really hurt.

RockJock
03-21-2008, 12:28 PM
plenty of snow left it snowed last night - it's raining now, that will turn into ice tonight and it's supposed to snow and rain. the roads are clear of snow but beware of battleship-sized potholes. if the car is stored inside or being driven you'll be fine but if it's outside bring a shovel... err, maybe 2 shovels and a friend. that's now tho - april is usually ok but this year anything could happen it's insaaaaaaane.

i found a gas tank and a windshield (need them bad) at a local scrapyard but they said they won't be able to get to the car until april! that's gotta be bad for business...

Thanks Tim -- With 265/40 summer's on the back it would have to be above zero, hopefully dry and no wet/salty $hit on the road for me to consider it. Now you've got me worried about the potholes though ;). If I can get my a$$ onto to the transcanada without hitting any potholes I'll be laughing :) ....

DueyT
03-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Have they put the spring-time 40km/h signs on the Bonaventure yet? :D