PDA

View Full Version : 1991 BMW 520i

Paul261267
05-22-2004, 06:24 AM
RE the BMW 520i. I just viewed one on 91reg plate UK model.
I was wondering if anyone can offer me any advice on this model...it drives beautifully, with a powerful engine and excellent handling. The door mirrors are cracked but I consider this to be a minor setback on what is basically a very good car. My main question is of costs, servicing and repairs mainly...exhausts etc. I would be grateful for any advice. By the way, I can buy it for £800 uk pounds, bargain or not? Cheers

netmgr
05-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Cant answer this one, I mean ok ill try

1, 2 ltr engine is under powered in my opinion and a larger engine could be picked up for same money, poss 2.5 or 3.5

2, ok so its 800 quid, have you ever had an E34? if so you will know parts can cost lots. My car is a 2.5 1989, i payed 3 grand for it only 2 years ago, its still worth that to someone who knows that i spend a fortune on it. Its been so well looked after yet I still have to replace things, like rusty fuel hoses, fuel tank straps, suspension etc etc etc
Id hate to purchase an 800 quid BMW you will be spening money like its going out of fashion.
Save up the money and buy one thats right, not someones junk thats past its use by date....you have been warned!

darren

jplacson
05-22-2004, 10:02 AM
That all depends on the ACTUAL condition of the car.

I paid about US$9000 for my 1989 520i a few months ago. But there was really nothing to fix... but I had some stuff done simply because I'm picky.

netmgr
05-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Well obviously it depends on the ACTUAL condition but £800 is the equivelent of $1,434.24 USD

And im sure that doesnt buy you much of a BMW in America!

So if the ACTUAL condition was very good it wouldnt be going so cheap

darren

Paul261267
05-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Hmmm Thanks guys, good advice I feel! The ACTUAL condition APPEARS to be ok, solid underneath, no rust spots or obvious body damage, and the interior is perfect...no rips or tears ETC, but I do take on board what you have said. The car was taken in part ex for a Shogun at a local garage, so the dealer says its just to clear it. It has plenty of service records and the overall condition is excellent for a 13 year old car. I already have a E30 BMW 520i Auto, so I am well aware how much repairs and parts are after an expensive MOT failure last year! I will give it more thought before I decide what to do. Thanks again.

jplacson
05-24-2004, 05:55 AM
well, if you already have an e30 320i, the engine should be almost, if not the same. :) If engine inspection proves to be ok, then good for you!!! :) you got a great deal. :) keep us all updated! :)

Paul261267
05-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for that! I am still seriously thinking about buying it, after all, I have an "old" E30 that needs (Too much) money spending on it. The wife says I can have it so thats half the battle over with ;) The engine is smooth as silk and powerful, with a smooth gearchange. By the way, its gleaming black with the chrome wheelarches and looks great. Photo's to follow, IF I decide to buy....!