PDA

View Full Version : I made an office chair from an extra E34 seat!

Fred/Houston
03-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I had posted this elsewhere & thought I would share it here.
bought an extra Dove grey seat when I decided to leatherique my seats, but the one I bought had a tear that was proving very difficult to hide 100% so I stayed with the orignal seat which leatheriqued just fine in the end.
I got tired of seeing the extra chair in my garage and an office chair at work had broken, so I took the seat off of the swivel base which has a pneumatic hand lever to raise & lower it. I cut a piece of plywood at the dimensions of the 4 screw hole locations under the seat, bolted the plywood to the seat, and then bolted the 4 screw loacations of the top of the swivel base to the bottom of the seat.
I had an adustable tranformer from radio shack and set it to 12V. Then I connected 2 wires to the electrical connector under the seat to the + & - leads of the transformer.
I plugged it in and all the switches work, it moves slower than it does in the car but it works.
I have to say this is the best F'n office chair I have ever sat in! If you have an extra seat lying around, go ahead and give it a try. The support is just incredible and I can sit for hours without having to stretch or walk around.
I had an extra E28 seat as well so I made another chair with that seat for my pc. It's not as good as the E34 seat, but still extremly comfortable.
I still have to finish leatheriquing the E34 and it looks ugly and crude because you can see the plywood edge, but after I leatherique it I will finish turning it into a nice piece of furniture and throw an M-tech badge on it and use the wood trim from the dashboard under the bottom edge of the seat to hide the plywood.
I'll make sure to post a before/after photo once I finish. For now, here is a poor quality photo and keep in mind that the seat is halway through the leatherique process, so it's covered with a lot of white fill. It will look brand new when I'm done.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f238/Baguaman/E34officechair.jpg
Fred/Houston

wyze
03-07-2008, 06:15 PM
sweet good stuff, i've did the same kind of set up with a spare e30 seat i had laying around lol, and the heated seats work too! great for relaxing!!

filip00
03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
you gotta be kidding me...you slammed an e34 seat on top of a chair and you claim to have MADE AN OFFICE CHAIR out of it.....LOL....

just rip the old seat and snap the rollers on the e34 seat, and then we're talking.