PDA

View Full Version : 55mph Wheel shake - Bad in long run?

Milkboot
03-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I have not had the funds or equipment to be able to fix my wheel shake, but tax return this year is really going to help me.

What I would like to know is are there any long term effects this could have on any other part of the car?

BMW4LIFE
03-07-2008, 01:40 AM
I have not had the funds or equipment to be able to fix my wheel shake, but tax return this year is really going to help me.

What I would like to know is are there any long term effects this could have on any other part of the car?

as with anything its not good to drive your car with a broken part...

but on the other hand i have been driving my car for almost 2 yrs with my thrust arm Bushings all wacked out

if i were you i would change them asap...im doing mine in the next two weeks!

YAY FOR NO MORE SHAKING!!!!!!! =)

HOPE THAT HELPED!

Jehu
03-07-2008, 01:42 AM
check tie rod ends. . Your Tires will also most likely be worn badly too and contribute to the problem. Have you tried just swapping front to rear?

Tiger
03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Lots of wear and tear on other part of the car... entire steering system... your teeth fillings, wheel bearings, sway bar links.

If you are talking about 1 month... that's fine. Whole thrust arm are not that expensive with 750il bushings... M5 bushings are very expensive.

leicesterboy15
03-07-2008, 11:37 AM
When I had the shimmy it was so bad I would never take it above 55, it got to the point where you could no longer drive through it either. I think it is really bad for the car, all them wires being shaken about, bolts vibrating around, can't be good can it! You might be lucky and get away with it ( I think it did) but then again you might not.

Try getting the wheels balanced. I replaced the upper and lower arms and tie rods and got the car tracked and it still had the wobble even after all this. Then i got the wheels balanced and it all went away - and my wheels are not kurbed at all and it was just one weight, amazing the difference, I would never have believed that a wheel balance could make so much difference, and its only a few quid ;)

Milkboot
03-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that is the one thing I am thinking about doing first since I am not too sure about one of my rims