PDA

View Full Version : Coolant "burping" out

DDK's 525
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Hello, I am a new e34 owner. I have aa 1990 525i w/ 92k on it. The problem I can't figure out is it is leaking coolant after the morning drive to work. it leaves a medium sized spot on the ground. It only does this in the morning and does not leave a spot in the afternoon (it gets to drive 2-3 times during the day) or after the drive home. I can't see any moisture on the bottom of engine. Has anybody else had this happen? Could it be the cap? It is not overfilled and the hoses appear dry. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Daryl...

whiskychaser
03-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Hello, I am a new e34 owner. I have aa 1990 525i w/ 92k on it. The problem I can't figure out is it is leaking coolant after the morning drive to work. it leaves a medium sized spot on the ground. It only does this in the morning and does not leave a spot in the afternoon (it gets to drive 2-3 times during the day) or after the drive home. I can't see any moisture on the bottom of engine. Has anybody else had this happen? Could it be the cap? It is not overfilled and the hoses appear dry. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Daryl...
You probably park slightly more up/downhill in the am/pm. Depending on the slope the coolant may be collecting somewhere. Look for spray on the air filter housing (water pump shot) and in the channel immediately below the rad
(rad leaking).

DDK's 525
03-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks, I will check the chanel for the leak there. The water pump is less than 5k miles old. Why would it only leak in the morning? This is the part that has me confused most. I parked in the spot right next to the original spot, so the angle would have been the same.

DDK's 525
03-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Seems as it is coming from the heater core. Ordered one today and will replace next weekend.

Anybody have any extra tidbits of wisdom on this procedure?