PDA

View Full Version : Figured out the cable problem

Ferret
03-05-2008, 05:42 AM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_2408Medium.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_2409Medium.jpg

Got the old cable out in the end and figured out what caused the old one to snap...

When the first new cable was installed, the throttle stop was not adjusted. So... a combination of the throttle valve stopping before the pedal did and my lead right foot has caused the cable to stretch and snap over time...

I'd advise you guys to check your throttle stop adjuster... you might find you're suffering from the same thing.

Ferret
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
From your picture the cable doesn't look frayed at all. Have a good look at the ends, are they fused? I've never seen a cable snap from tension without unravelling a bit first.
I suspect part of your problem may be a poor ground to the engine. If the ground is through the cable it will burn it through eventually.

That's a very good thought, but the cable is electrically isolated by rubber/plastic at both ends, and the whole internal cable has a sheath over it as well!

I'll get more pics later this evening when I get home from work - will have a rummage to see if it's frayed or not - remember the stretching plastic sheath could have supressed any fraying though....

pgrindstaff
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Glad you got it fixed Ferret. I'd say that the throttle cable should definitely be checked and replaced if something does not seem right with it. They also tend to fray and get hung inside the sleeve causing the throttle to stick.

Ross
03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
From your picture the cable doesn't look frayed at all. Have a good look at the ends, are they fused? I've never seen a cable snap from tension without unravelling a bit first.
I suspect part of your problem may be a poor ground to the engine. If the ground is through the cable it will burn it through eventually.

quan325i
03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Is it easy to replace the throttle cable as preventive care?

QN