PDA

View Full Version : Torquing head bolts

Hypr5
03-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Hey guys,

I installed the head back onto the block today, and torqued the bolts according to the bentley manual.

12 / 14 bolts went smooth and easy.. the other 2 (outer corners of head) weren't so smooth going in and you could feel it like a click, click, click through the wrench - and hear it too.

I chased all the threads of the bolt holes and cleaned them up with a shop vac and straw - then did it again for good measure later and kept the holes taped up so I am SURE they were perfectly clean. What could cause that? It worries me just a bit.

One was smooth until midway through the first 90 degree torque and the other was smooth until midway through the second 90 degree torque spec.

Will I be okay? Is this normal?
Thanks!

Ross
03-05-2008, 10:56 AM
If you are sure the threads were clear and no oil in the bottom of the holes then it was probably those holes were a bit drier than the rest. If you needed more force to turn those bolts through the 90 deg then maybe cause for concern. There is always e-bay.

Hypr5
03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
one of the two felt a bit harder to get through. what kind of problems might arise from something like that?

would it be okay to remove just that one bolt, clean the threads again and replace it?

Ross
03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Generally once the final torque has been reached you should leave it alone as the gasket is fully crushed. Unless you think something stripped or the bolt bottomed I would leave it alone.
You used new bolts. Right? If so I would bet you are okay.
Chances are the threads were dry or no oil under the bolt head causing it to chatter. I know a lot is made of head gasket installation but it ain't rocket science, there is a little forgiveness.

Hypr5
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Alright, thank you for that.
That gives me a little more comfort with this whole process :D

Now, just out of curiosity, what if the threads somehow got contaminated after I cleaned them? Not that theres anything I could do now...

Ross
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Contaminated with what? They should be lightly lubricated.
The biggest worry is the hole being full of oil or something which will prevent the bolt from tightening properly.
Sounds like you did everything right.

whiskychaser
03-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Alright, thank you for that.
That gives me a little more comfort with this whole process :D
Now, just out of curiosity, what if the threads somehow got contaminated after I cleaned them? Not that theres anything I could do now...
The main thing is you tightened them down evenly, in the correct pattern and to the correct torque. I'd worry if one or two bolts wear easier to turn, not harder. Doesnt sound like they are going to come loose:) I certainly wouldnt go undoing any - they are stretch bolts with a one time only use.

Ross
03-05-2008, 01:49 PM
X2