PDA

View Full Version : Replacing nylon shifter cup

Jon K
03-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I know I know I should spend the $300 on a UUC short shift kit and I probably will, just not now. I rebuilt most/all of my shift linkage since my motor was out - got UUC delrin bushings for the carrier, new clip for the carrier, new yellow washers everywhere, new T-Junction piece on the selector input and lastly I ordered the nylon cup for the shifter ball but I have yet to replace that. The driveshaft is still out so I have access... is there any instruction on how to replace that thang?

Thanks all

rob101
03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I know I know I should spend the $300 on a UUC short shift kit and I probably will, just not now. I rebuilt most/all of my shift linkage since my motor was out - got UUC delrin bushings for the carrier, new clip for the carrier, new yellow washers everywhere, new T-Junction piece on the selector input and lastly I ordered the nylon cup for the shifter ball but I have yet to replace that. The driveshaft is still out so I have access... is there any instruction on how to replace that thang?

Thanks all
have you got it and the gearstick out of the shifter arm yet? you can do the "turn clockwise 90 degrees thing". But i found it easier to kind of push in the tabs with a screw driver that hold it in the groove on the side of the shift carrier, one side at a time whilst kind of pulling up on the stick so it'll stay in.

ie push left side in pull up LH side tab stays depressed do the same on RHS and pull it should come out. I don't know how else to explain it. this was for a 318is but it should work

Ross
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
There was a recent thread about swapping the M motor into a touring, one of the frequent posters here. He had a write up that included a bunch of different shift levers and part #s, one of those ought to accomplish what you want to do for a fraction of the "kit" price.
A vintage Hurst T handle would be cool too. Turn it down and thread it for 3/8-16

rob101
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
woops just realised i didn't answer your question of putting it in. once its on the ball you just put it with the tabs line up with the grooves on the side of the carrier. then i just tapped on the top of a tabs with a screw driver until they went in. easy.

attack eagle
03-04-2008, 11:42 PM
bentley actually has the best directions on taking it out. made NO sense until I had the thing sitting on my kitchen table, and then read the directions.
I think I used a pair of thin blade flat screwdrivers and a box end wrench as a "hammer" to get it to rotate, and a pick tool to lift up tabs that got jammed.

rob101
03-04-2008, 11:48 PM
bentley actually has the best directions on taking it out. made NO sense until I had the thing sitting on my kitchen table, and then read the directions.
I think I used a pair of thin blade flat screwdrivers and a box end wrench as a "hammer" to get it to rotate, and a pick tool to lift up tabs that got jammed.
nice yeah i tried the rotation but i didn't have much joy, the wrench hammer idea would work very well to get it to rotate but i didn't think of it at the time.

Jon K
03-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Is there a link to the online bentley, mine is at the shop w/ my car

winfred
03-05-2008, 09:21 AM
theres a slot on either side of the rail, stick a screwdriver in there and wack it, that will kill the ear that's holding that side of the cup repeat for the other side, when you drop in the new cup make sure the ears pop into those slots, it usually takes a tap to seat them. the bosses kids 98 m3 came with some super duper uuc shifter and imho it's a piece of ****, it's a machined insert that replaces the nice tight fitting cup that basically converts the shifter to a 2002/320i style upper/lower cup and spring set up that sucks ass, the car was undrivable when we got it and all i could do to it barely made it tolerable

stick with the stock set up and sellect your favorite factory shifter for throw reduction

Jon K
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
theres a slot on either side of the rail, stick a screwdriver in there and wack it, that will kill the ear that's holding that side of the cup repeat for the other side, when you drop in the new cup make sure the ears pop into those slots, it usually takes a tap to seat them. the bosses kids 98 m3 came with some super duper uuc shifter and imho it's a piece of ****, it's a machined insert that replaces the nice tight fitting cup that basically converts the shifter to a 2002/320i style upper/lower cup and spring set up that sucks ass, the car was undrivable when we got it and all i could do to it barely made it tolerable

stick with the stock set up and sellect your favorite factory shifter for throw reduction

Winfred should I take the carrier down and out of the car? It sucks because I installed that pin/clasp on the trans that holds the carrier in without installing the UUC delrin bushing jobbers. So now I need to clasp it. That **** was HARD to clasp since I had bought a new clasp. Do I attack that from the front or back of the trans? Argh.

I wish I had a pic of how to get @ this shifter cup thing

Dave M
03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
This is likely what you're looking at, correct? http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/linkage_intact_X.jpg

Here is old thread on shifter rebuild, you may have seen this already (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1169)

Relevant excerpts from the thread:

5) Remove plastic mount (#7) and shift lever with needle nose pliers by turning and pushing up from below

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/Shift_lever_bushing_removal.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/Rear_support_removed.jpg

Con't.................

Dave M
03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Is this the "b!tch clip' you speak of that holds the console to the trans? If so, you may be forced to pry it up and remove it. Its a b!tch, but its in its nature ;). Hopefully you won't bend it too much.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/Btch_clip_swiveled_up.jpg

Dave

Jon K
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Is this the "b!tch clip' you speak of that holds the console to the trans? If so, you may be forced to pry it up and remove it. Its a b!tch, but its in its nature ;). Hopefully you won't bend it too much.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Linkage%20Fix/Btch_clip_swiveled_up.jpg

Dave

UUC sent me a replacement bitch clip so I am thinking of just trying to destroy the one thats on there. But, even trying to destroy it would prove difficult.

winfred
03-05-2008, 01:01 PM
not hard to get the bitch clip once you know how, take a pick from the engine side on the inside of the ear on the tranny and rock the handle up towards the floor of the car and that will bring the clip up with it

I.-I put the pick where the . is

Jon K
03-05-2008, 02:29 PM
not hard to get the bitch clip once you know how, take a pick from the engine side on the inside of the ear on the tranny and rock the handle up towards the floor of the car and that will bring the clip up with it

I.-I put the pick where the . is

Sounds like a plan - do you lower the trans? I think I might as well - its pretty tight with it sitting on all these mounts

rob101
03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a plan - do you lower the trans? I think I might as well - its pretty tight with it sitting on all these mounts
you can hammer it out with a screwdriver coming from the rear also, just using bigger and bigger screw drivers until it pops out.
don't see why you need to drop the trans, i did mine with the drive shaft still attached. not heaps of room but adequate.