PDA

View Full Version : Strange radio problem

Dom
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I have a 91 525i that just recently developed a radio problem.

While driving, the stock radio will shut off for no reason. All lights to the radio shut off, the radio is just dead.

Nothing else with the car is affected.

I turn off the car and when I turn it back on the radio starts up. (sometimes), and works for a couple of days.

Has anyone seen this before. and any ideas.

Dom

525i winter driver
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
when my battery was dying, the first thing to lose power was the radio and there were no other signs of power loss except the amp as well. do you hear your amplifier shutting off too? - maybe check to see if your battery and charging system is good esp. battery terminals for tightness and corrosion, alternator belt etc would be step 1 for me, then maybe the plug behind the radio and wiring as it's right next to a lot of heating ducts and could go bad. that's newb advice for newbs tho, maybe you're further along...

Dom
03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Today I had my battery and alternator checked out and the battery indicated that it's on it's way out.
Boy I never had a radio go out because of a weak battery. But sure enough, I was driving yesterday with the radio going and flipped on the headlights and the radio when right off.
Thanks for your help. I was thinking at first that I was due for a new radio.
Dom