PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Throttle stuck at WOT coming out of a junction, then cable snapped cleanly!

Ferret
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Well that was a fun commute home from work...

Coming out of a T junction about a mile from home, floored it to get moving, took my foot off the gas pedal and the engine stayed at WOT. 20ft of rubber and sideways travel later got it to coast to the side of the road - touched the throttle pedal again and *ping* felt the cable snap.

Well that's just f*cking typical... checked under the bonnet and the cable had shot out the end and was flopping loose around on top of the engine.

*sigh*

One mile home, with a massive hill to get up in the process...

Ingenuity struck and I wedged a £2 coin between the throttle and it's stop plate, making the engine run *really* fast but not screaming - and managed to maintain 30 mph all the way back.

So... anyone know how hard/easy it is to pull out the throttle cable on an M60 engined car? Phoned up the dealer before they closed and ordered a new one in, will fit it weds morning :D

Thoughts anyone...?

Ferret
03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Let me put it this way, it isn't exactly the easiest of tasks. Luckily for you I have already tackled this job and wrote a DIY which you can find here (http://tnsgo.com:85/bmw/throttle.html). If you need any help let me know, I'll gladly answer any questions you have.

You sir are a lifesaver, much appreciated thankyou! :D

However, when I've looked under there it all looks slightly different :O the throttle cable comes through a tiny little hole in the pedal box... will have to investigate more on weds morning!

whiskychaser
03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Good job the snow hasnt reached you yet or you would be looking for a change of trousers:) Changing a cable cant be that difficult...can it?:D

pgrindstaff
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Let me put it this way, it isn't exactly the easiest of tasks. Luckily for you I have already tackled this job and wrote a DIY which you can find here (http://tnsgo.com:85/bmw/throttle.html). If you need any help let me know, I'll gladly answer any questions you have.

Hypr5
03-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Well that was a fun commute home from work...

Coming out of a T junction about a mile from home, floored it to get moving, took my foot off the gas pedal and the engine stayed at WOT. 20ft of rubber and sideways travel later got it to coast to the side of the road - touched the throttle pedal again and *ping* felt the cable snap.

Well that's just f*cking typical... checked under the bonnet and the cable had shot out the end and was flopping loose around on top of the engine.

*sigh*

One mile home, with a massive hill to get up in the process...

Ingenuity struck and I wedged a £2 coin between the throttle and it's stop plate, making the engine run *really* fast but not screaming - and managed to maintain 30 mph all the way back.

So... anyone know how hard/easy it is to pull out the throttle cable on an M60 engined car? Phoned up the dealer before they closed and ordered a new one in, will fit it weds morning :D

Thoughts anyone...?

sounds similar to what happened to my e39 540. cruise control went decided it wanted to go WOT while I was on the highway. it feels much faster at WOT when you don't want it to, doesn't it?