PDA

View Full Version : E34 Dual Projector retrofit...any idea's?

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey guys,

I was on BF.c a couple days ago and saw someone that retrofitted an Infiniti FX35 Projector into their E36 or E46 headlamp. And that got me thinking, that on an E34/E32 it would be even easier since there are 2 housings, 1 low beam and 1 highbeam and they are held in place by 3 screws that can be removed.

So why not get another set of low beam projector housings and interchange them with my high beam housing. Anyone want to try and photoshop it and see what it wopuld look like.

Any idea's or suggestions. If anyone could photoshop it, that would be awesome. Thanks.

BMWCCA1
03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Did you ever notice how poor the light output from your ellipsoid low-beam is? And, conversely, how relatively good the output from your non-ellipsoid high-beam is? But if you want LESS light, go right ahead!

Ferret
03-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Did you ever notice how poor the light output from your ellipsoid low-beam is? And, conversely, how relatively good the output from your non-ellipsoid high-beam is? But if you want LESS light, go right ahead!

Ahh, but half the point here is that you can use twice as much light legally while there's other drivers around :D

It's definitely something worth thinking about tbh.

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 11:15 AM

My light output is pretty good, considering i have 8000K low beam, 10,000K High Beam and 8000K Fog Lights. but I haven't seen what the projectors look like as my low beams yet and they havent been installed but it would look pretty damn nice....maybe...

we need to see a photoshop...anyone???

bubba966
03-03-2008, 04:49 PM
You're talking about pulling the high beams and placing another set of low beams in there. So you could effectively run 2 sets of low beams at the same time?

I've certainly thought about doing that myself (if that's what you're contemplating) as I never have a need for my high beams. Especially since I've got brand new lenses and run Toshiba HIR 9011's in the low beams. Pretty decent light output from one set of low beams with the new glass & 9011's. Would be great with 2 sets of low beams like that...

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
You're talking about pulling the high beams and placing another set of low beams in there. So you could effectively run 2 sets of low beams at the same time?

I've certainly thought about doing that myself (if that's what you're contemplating) as I never have a need for my high beams. Especially since I've got brand new lenses and run Toshiba HIR 9011's in the low beams. Pretty decent light output from one set of low beams with the new glass & 9011's. Would be great with 2 sets of low beams like that...

My whole intent was to have that new 7 series look with the dual projector, I will still use the low beam housings as high beams, just adjust them for the road and still have HID's in them.

I'm happy with my low beams as is with the HID's, and my high beams are nice too, I was just contemplating having low beam housings with the projector as high beams

Ross
03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Does your car use H1s in the fogs? I've some 130 watters that will piss off oncoming traffic for you.

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Does your car use H1s in the fogs? I've some 130 watters that will piss off oncoming traffic for you.

Low beam = H1 8000K
High beam = H1 10000K
Fog Light = H1 8000K

All H.I.D.

repenttokyo
03-03-2008, 05:57 PM
My light output is pretty good, considering i have 8000K low beam, 10,000K High Beam and 8000K Fog Lights.

that doesn't refer to your light output.

where did you mount the ballast for the HID's?

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Bah, forget the retrofit, I went upstairs, looked at my other ellipsoid low beams and saw that they aren't the same mounting tab design as my depo's which are already modified.

It's a good idea if anyone wants to try with 2 of the same type of sets.

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
that doesn't refer to your light output.

where did you mount the ballast for the HID's?

It was fun trying to find place for 6 ballasts. I found a couple of places that werent too shabby. Mounted 2 near the air intake since I took out that massive box, mounted 2 near the winshield washer resevoir and the 2 for the fog lights were slightly tricky but I found room while there was no headlights or bumper on the car. I'll take pics when everything is done.

All of it is coming together. Today it got complete primer and contrasted with black spray can paint to check for any missed spots. Tomorrow the car is getting complete paint with pearl estroil clear if there's enough time. And then I have 6 days to re-assemble most of the interiors panels that were taken out, CF trim the interior. Tint all the windows. Complete black or Silver fade to black and some other odds and ends.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Low beam = H1 8000K
High beam = H1 10000K
Fog Light = H1 8000K

All H.I.D.

Hope you like blue/purple! cause that's the color you'll be rocking with those temps.

Drop the K down to 4300-5000 and up the lumens

bad_manners_god
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Hope you like blue/purple! cause that's the color you'll be rocking with those temps.

Drop the K down to 4300-5000 and up the lumens

I know 4300K is the most lumens you can get, but I don't like the color output from the lens.

I already had 8000K and 10000K in my lows and highs in my stock housings so I know what its like. Espically when I had a brand new X5 next to me at a light and pointed at me to roll down the window and practically yelled at me: "Where did you get those lights, Old cars like that don't have those!!"

and I just said, "Well, I must be special." and I turned on my high beams which overshadowed the X5's light output.

attack eagle
03-04-2008, 01:45 AM
I know 4300K is the most lumens you can get, but I don't like the color output from the lens.

I already had 8000K and 10000K in my lows and highs in my stock housings so I know what its like. Espically when I had a brand new X5 next to me at a light and pointed at me to roll down the window and practically yelled at me: "Where did you get those lights, Old cars like that don't have those!!"

and I just said, "Well, I must be special." and I turned on my high beams which overshadowed the X5's light output.
so do my normal highs, equipped with $5 walmart sourced osram h1 bulbs .

seriously do yourself and other drivers a favor and get 5k bulbs. the bluer the more glare-y they appear to other drivers, especially us no longer in our 20s(80%).

or since you like cutting stuff up, fit the tsx projectors like rvae34s.

else you may find one night some pissed off old dodger like myself has used a pick, or another pointy object to help your improved lighting quest by removing all that glass between the bulb and the road.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if you were local, since you are a completely self centered arse, without even a shred of concern or decency towards others lives. We call it highway beautification or Highway safety improvement round here.

bad_manners_god
03-04-2008, 06:44 AM
so do my normal highs, equipped with $5 walmart sourced osram h1 bulbs .

seriously do yourself and other drivers a favor and get 5k bulbs. the bluer the more glare-y they appear to other drivers, especially us no longer in our 20s(80%).

or since you like cutting stuff up, fit the tsx projectors like rvae34s.

else you may find one night some pissed off old dodger like myself has used a pick, or another pointy object to help your improved lighting quest by removing all that glass between the bulb and the road.

I'd do it in a heartbeat if you were local, since you are a completely self centered arse, without even a shred of concern or decency towards others lives. We call it highway beautification or Highway safety improvement round here.

Nice, glad to know where we stand.