PDA

View Full Version : M60 underdrive pulleys

bubba966
03-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Does anyone besides VAC Motorsports make an underdrive pulley set for the M60?

Installed a set of UUC underdrive pulleys on a friends M50 and liked the results (so did she). Figured I should do it to my car as well. But I can only find a set from VAC, and they want $300 for the two pulleys. And that's their "sale" price as well. I certainly like the price on the UUC set a lot better, it's just too bad they don't make a set for the M60.

Hypr5
03-03-2008, 01:52 AM
evosport

bubba966
03-05-2008, 05:24 PM
evosport

Unfortunately Evosport doesn't have any pulley sets for E34's.

No one else has seen an M60 set?

healtoeit
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Installed a set of UUC underdrive pulleys on a friends M50 and liked the results (so did she).
A little off topic, and i'm sorry i cant help. However, you would seem to be one to ask! For the M50, how much did it help performance? Do the pulleys effect the duability of the underdriven parts?

bubba966
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
A little off topic, and i'm sorry i cant help. However, you would seem to be one to ask! For the M50, how much did it help performance? Do the pulleys effect the duability of the underdriven parts?

The pulleys helped most with throttle response and above 3k RPM power. It's probably not a whole lot of power that it frees up. But the snappier throttle response is nice. I'll also say it's not a huge improvement for the amount of $ that needs spending. But you do get a new belt with the pulley set, so if you need to replace the belt anyway, and don't mind the extra $ for a set of new pulleys then go for it.

I suppose the pulleys could possibly make the underdriven parts (water & steering pumps) last slightly longer as they're not being used quite as much as before. That's not something I think should be considered when thinking about this.

Anyways, I liked the effect on the '95 525iT enough that I'll be doing it at some point on my '95 540iA M-Sport even though it costs twice as much to do it on an M60 using VAC pulleys as it does to do it on an M50 using UUC pulleys.

healtoeit
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Is it a good idea to under-pully on a car with 183k miles on it? Any downside you can htink of? I need to replace my fan/fan clutch so i'm going to be around the pully's anyway...

Tiger
03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Underdrive pully to alter the timing of the engine? How much of a retard are we talking about? What is effect on the fuel consumption?

RobPatt
03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
just:

- lighter than stock pullies... less wieght easier to spin, probably negligable difference really...

- different sized pullies so they spin components slower (power steering, water pump... maybe alternator if you choose (affects stereo amp)... so its overall less drag on the engine... again prob negligable effect.. but if he says he can feel it than that's good....

my guess is that if he can feel a 2% (???) power increase on a M60 then it'd be easier to feel on an M50.

hum.... always thought about it but not that hard up for a couple ponies verses a few hundred washingtons....

Underdrive pully to alter the timing of the engine? How much of a retard are we talking about? What is effect on the fuel consumption?