PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak tips ?

525i winter driver
03-02-2008, 06:33 PM
i think i had a small fuel leak where the hose connects to the regulator. i smelled gas a couple of times coming from the vents on startup and after some poking around it looked like it was coming from there. i've tightened the clamp and can't smell gas anymore... given it a few good tests (cold and hot starts, a few drives) and i can't smell anything anymore - the hoses themselves look like they are in good shape.

i'm sure it's the careless work of a mechanic who changed my headgasket and water pump in december. i'm losing a tiny bit of coolant too but can't find the leak.

i'm mostly worried about gas though for now - i have absolutely no confidence in this guy's work - but i don't smell anything - should i be worried?

John B.
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds like you fixed the fuel leak, I'd be more concerned with the coolant loss at this point. Hopefully he didn't botch the head gasket job.

whiskychaser
03-03-2008, 02:10 PM
i think i had a small fuel leak where the hose connects to the regulator. i smelled gas a couple of times coming from the vents on startup and after some poking around it looked like it was coming from there. i've tightened the clamp and can't smell gas anymore... given it a few good tests (cold and hot starts, a few drives) and i can't smell anything anymore - the hoses themselves look like they are in good shape.

i'm sure it's the careless work of a mechanic who changed my headgasket and water pump in december. i'm losing a tiny bit of coolant too but can't find the leak.

i'm mostly worried about gas though for now - i have absolutely no confidence in this guy's work - but i don't smell anything - should i be worried?
The hoses either end of the fuel rail get hard with age and leak especially if they have been disturbed. Do hope I'm wrong but look under the inlet manifold where the hose connects into the back of the timing chain cover. The head gasket seal can be fine but the timing chain cover contains coolant on an M50 and can leak. Dont ask how a I know:(

525i winter driver
03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Hopefully he didn't botch the head gasket job.lol he did botch the hg job the first time - the moron screwed up my car - i've been struggling with it ever since the sob. i get more and more pissed each time i find something new. (of course, you know, this means war... )
thanks guys - good tips wc bet that sucked sorry bro. i'm guessing there must be a pretty big difference between the belted m20s and the chained m50s but i'll definitely have a poke around tomorrow when it's light out. i've already tightened everything i could find... the coolant leak is really small so i won't know for a week or so.