PDA

View Full Version : Help- how do you fix a sunroof rattle?

Russell
05-21-2004, 06:43 PM
I checked the old and current archives. Did not find any real help.

When I go over a bump or close a door fairly hard. I hear a rattle in my sunroof (sedan). I can tap on the headliner and get a rattle.

Not sure where or how to approch this. Could this be some sort of adjustment or a worn component such as a guide or even the seal? I even thought it was a loose door panel. Does not seem to be the case.

This type of rattle really bothers me. A BMW should not rattle. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Russell
05-22-2004, 06:00 AM
I would rather have something really broken that can be fixed than one of these hidden little rattles that defies solution. -:)

I checked the old and current archives. Did not find any real help.

When I go over a bump or close a door fairly hard. I hear a rattle in my sunroof (sedan). I can tap on the headliner and get a rattle.

Not sure where or how to approch this. Could this be some sort of adjustment or a worn component such as a guide or even the seal? I even thought it was a loose door panel. Does not seem to be the case.

This type of rattle really bothers me. A BMW should not rattle. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

winfred
05-22-2004, 10:01 AM
it's one of those things that you gotta dive into to figure out, it's not a common enough problem

Tiger
05-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you got a loose bolt on your headliner... take the sunroof headliner out and see if you see a nut or bolt there.

Russell
05-22-2004, 06:41 PM
I slid the panel out of the way and It looks like the entire sunroof or perhap only the back part of the roof is loose enough to move up and down and thump when the door is closed hard or hit a big bump. Nothing appears broken, just a bit of play . Not sure if there is anything to tighten. I will explore a bit more. Any thoughts?

it's one of those things that you gotta dive into to figure out, it's not a common enough problem

Russell
05-23-2004, 11:07 AM
I think I will replace the sunroof gasket an hope the added friction of a new and thicker gasket will prevent tne sunroof panel from moving up and down when hitting a bump.

My etk indicates two different gaskets. One appears thicker than the other. Unless, I found out otherwise, I plan to order the thicker gasket from BMA. Any thoughts why there is a thicker gasket?

Thanks,

I slid the panel out of the way and It looks like the entire sunroof or perhap only the back part of the roof is loose enough to move up and down and thump when the door is closed hard or hit a big bump. Nothing appears broken, just a bit of play . Not sure if there is anything to tighten. I will explore a bit more. Any thoughts?

Russell
05-24-2004, 03:15 PM
Reduced sunroof rattle by lowering rear edge a bit. I think it was adjusted too high as the rear stuck up a bit over the roof. Even so, I think i will install a new gasket as previously mentioned.

I think I will replace the sunroof gasket an hope the added friction of a new and thicker gasket will prevent tne sunroof panel from moving up and down when hitting a bump.

My etk indicates two different gaskets. One appears thicker than the other. Unless, I found out otherwise, I plan to order the thicker gasket from BMA. Any thoughts why there is a thicker gasket?

Thanks,