PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help interpret an e39 inspection report...........

Dave M
03-02-2008, 11:45 AM
A very good friend is looking hard for an e39 touring. We may have found on in Toronto (15 hours away). It just went in for a 55 point inspestion at a dealership, results below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Gs_e39-1.jpg

The notes in the "Road Test" section in the top left corner appear to state "ABC DSL Brake Warning Light On". I assume the ABC is ABS, but I don't know what the DSL refers to.

Questions:

What is this DSL?

I've never had an ABS light remain on in the e34. Does anyone know a probable cause for it or this DSL light to remain on in an e39?

EDIT: Sorry about the photo size, but most of the other stuff is irelevant anyway. It checks out fine, the only ticks in the red are for a cracked windshield and burned out tail light. Engine belts are also in need of replacement.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

repenttokyo
03-02-2008, 12:08 PM
dave - the guys at the dealership didn't help you interpret this after they did the test?

Qube
03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
I believe that is DSC, not DSL.

The three tires are different brands... tells a lot about the previous owner... :| Don't know about this car... Granted when I bought the e34, three tires were different too heh.

winfred
03-02-2008, 01:29 PM
a abs light/traction control light on on a e39 (actually any of the small new style units on any bmw after around 99) almost certainly means that the abs control unit is toast, can be rebuilt for a few hundred and swapped in a few minutes

Dave M
03-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

Repent, I haven't spoken with the tech. Only my friend has. I may speak with him tomorrow a.m. on behalf of my friend in order to try and get to the bottom of things.

Yeah, the three different tires is an embarasment, but if you want a touring, let alone a good one in Canada, expect to find something wrong with it.

I'll update if we go ahead with it,

Dave

Ross
03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Dave,
It's difficult to read.
Warning lights on and mismatched tires are a big red flag that the owner was reluctant to spend the money required to care for the car. Consider the inspection money well spent and move on.
The DSC/ABS failures are common in E39s, but still expensive. Mine was repaired under CPO to the tune of about $1600.

Dave M
03-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Dave,
It's difficult to read.
Warning lights on and mismatched tires are a big red flag that the owner was reluctant to spend the money required to care for the car. Consider the inspection money well spent and move on.
The DSC/ABS failures are common in E39s, but still expensive. Mine was repaired under CPO to the tune of about $1600.

Yeah, agreed. More fishy Mcfisherson stuff going on now. Will update when the final desicon is made.

Dave