PDA

View Full Version : This car has been relisted 4 times now

repenttokyo
03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123&viewitem=&item=260216598099

is it REALLY that expensive to change the transmission? or clutch?

repenttokyo
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
can anyone tell me how much it would cost to replace the clutch or transmission in this car?

wyze
03-02-2008, 12:55 PM
ok so why is this car still up for sale, damn i think i'm going to have to head down to the bank

pgrindstaff
03-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow, looks clean. It's almost too bad I just bought a new car.

bahnstormer
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
i just bumped it up to 2,000 heheh =P next bidder will be the max

repenttokyo
03-02-2008, 03:54 PM
i just bumped it up to 2,000 heheh =P next bidder will be the max

are you seriously interested in buying the car, or are you just being a jerk? Because some of us are seriously interested in buying. I guess I have learned my lesson and won't be posting any more cars I am truly interested in on this forum.

525i winter driver
03-02-2008, 06:56 PM
wow that didn't sell for $1000 at no reserve? even for parts... but maybe i'm used to the inflated canadian market.

i'm certainly not buying or having a bidding war with another member - (having enough trouble affording the little one i have) - but i'm just curious what it costs to import a car from the states. i was under the impression you have to do it through a broker and there are costs on top of the broker fees and the gst/pst.

bubba966
03-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Last I heard a clutch job on an E34 M5 is about $1,000-$1,200. Not sure what a new tranny would cost though.

Also not so sure about the crappy wheels & tires it has. And the fact that it's clearly missing some bolts on the plug/wire cover. Makes me wonder what other things have been neglected on it.

repenttokyo
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Last I heard a clutch job on an E34 M5 is about $1,000-$1,200. Not sure what a new tranny would cost though.

Also not so sure about the crappy wheels & tires it has. And the fact that it's clearly missing some bolts on the plug/wire cover. Makes me wonder what other things have been neglected on it.

thanks for the information and for the critical eye, I missed those details.

repenttokyo
03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
i'm certainly not buying or having a bidding war with another member - (having enough trouble affording the little one i have) - but i'm just curious what it costs to import a car from the states. i was under the impression you have to do it through a broker and there are costs on top of the broker fees and the gst/pst.

it costs you tax plus import duty - you don't need to use a broker, I do in order to save time sometimes, but it's a $50 dollar charge...Duty on German cars is around 6% if I remember correctly. It's an easy process, I imported my previous daily driver from the US.

Coldaccord
03-03-2008, 12:31 AM
i imported a 325is from canada. needed a letter from bmw canada saying it was free of recalls and a compliance letter. then paid tax on the blue book value, not what i paid (i paid like 2k and they taxed me for a $3500 car). also had to swap the speedo to mph

this ebay ad is enticing, but dangerous. s38's are expensive to rebuild, and "tranny problems" isn't very descriptive or confidence enspiring.

Coldaccord
03-03-2008, 12:37 AM
wow that didn't sell for $1000 at no reserve? even for parts... but maybe i'm used to the inflated canadian market.

where do you see that it didnt sell at 1k with no reserve? can you view sellers past auctions? (the only way I knew how was to check their feedback and click those links but obv there wouldn't be feedback if it didn't sell)

Paul in NZ
03-03-2008, 02:41 AM
//M car parts are sometimes way more expensive than non //M cars,even pretty std parts,check some common parts like discs pads rads etc.If you are interested check some clutch-box prices....if you do a clutch you NEED a flywheels too.The boxes would cost a bomb,not sure they can be rebuilt(ie get parts to rebuild them)

repenttokyo
03-03-2008, 07:59 AM
i imported a 325is from canada. needed a letter from bmw canada saying it was free of recalls and a compliance letter. then paid tax on the blue book value, not what i paid (i paid like 2k and they taxed me for a $3500 car). also had to swap the speedo to mph

it's a bit different importing TO Canada. We only pay taxes on book value if the car is less than ten years old. Otherwise it is on purchase price. Also, there is no need to convert any of the speedometers or odometers. The only conversions that need to be made are safety related - daytime running lights if the vehicle was made after 1991, and child seat restraints, things like that.

We do need a letter of recall clearance as well, if the vehicle is less than 15 years old.

Ross
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
"may need xxx repair" translates to whatever the worst possible scenario is.
Buying this car sight unseen will be the kiss of death.

Mitch90535im
03-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Look at the seller's feed back - "Lied about rust..." The car is likely a total POS.