PDA

View Full Version : Starter Scam?

1995 525i
02-29-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm at my wits end and I need some advice. Recently I had a new starter installed for more money than I had to spend. Leading up to my starter failure, my car would only start on the second/third try. After the new stater all was good for about a week. I'm back to starting on the second/third try (with the exception of first thing in the morning). This is driving me nuts!!!!

I took it back to the mechanic and he said it statrted fine for them.

I'm also experiencing alot of heat coming from right underneath the stearing column (right where the adjustment lever is located). What's that all about? I didn't feel that until after I had my starter replaced.

Any thoughts?

whiskychaser
02-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm at my wits end and I need some advice. Recently I had a new starter installed for more money than I had to spend. Leading up to my starter failure, my car would only start on the second/third try. After the new stater all was good for about a week. I'm back to starting on the second/third try (with the exception of first thing in the morning). This is driving me nuts!!!!

I took it back to the mechanic and he said it statrted fine for them.

I'm also experiencing alot of heat coming from right underneath the stearing column (right where the adjustment lever is located). What's that all about? I didn't feel that until after I had my starter replaced.

Any thoughts?
Dont mean this to sound patronising, but if your engine turns over when you turn the key, then the starter is working fine. If its does FIRE straight away is a different matter. Perhaps you could clarify? (Could be a temp sensor if its fine when cold) I would say for your starter to be responsible for heat near your feet, it would have to be giving off about the same heat as a blow lamp. Does if feel hot?

pingu
02-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Do you mean it won't start or won't crank?

Could they have neglected to re-fit a heat shield? (Though I'm not sure whether there is a heat shield for the starter.)

1995 525i
02-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Dont mean this to sound patronising, but if your engine turns over when you turn the key, then the starter is working fine. If its does FIRE straight away is a different matter. Perhaps you could clarify? (Could be a temp sensor if its fine when cold) I would say for your starter to be responsible for heat near your feet, it would have to be giving off about the same heat as a blow lamp. Does if feel hot?

Thanks for the reponse...It doesn't fire until the second attempt. It hardly ever starts on the first try after I have left the house. I think when they worked on my car they removed/moved something that they didn't replace when they were done.

pundit
02-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the reponse...It doesn't fire until the second attempt...
Okay you have just indicated your starter is fine.

Not firing and not cranking are two totally diferrent things.

You need to make yourself clear.

If the motor cranks over but does not fire until the second attempt then the starter is okay, in which case the ignition or fuel system may be at fault.

Not cranking until the second attempt could be due the starter, a start relay, ignition switch or a bad connection. etc, etc.

So take a deep breath, think about it and try and explain it all again CLEARLY so we can all understand! ;)

Dave M
03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Sorry about that. It doesn't fire until the second attempt.

So what I understand is that it goes:

"woo woo woo"........"wooo woo woo".........then finally (this is where it get exciting), "woo woo vroom" :D

If you had your starter replaced because of this very same sequence, then they may have hosed you. Your starter is, and likey was, doing its job just fine. The problem lies in the spark or fuel department. You'll need to dig a bit deeper and check the condition of your plugs, your fuel pressure etc. I've never had a slow start on the M50, so I'm not of much help. You will probably find something with a forum search.

Keep us updated,

Dave

1995 525i
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Okay you have just indicated your starter is fine.

Not firing and not cranking are two totally diferrent things.

You need to make yourself clear.

If the motor cranks over but does not fire until the second attempt then the starter is okay, in which case the ignition or fuel system may be at fault.

Not cranking until the second attempt could be due the starter, a start relay, ignition switch or a bad connection. etc, etc.

So take a deep breath, think about it and try and explain it all again CLEARLY so we can all understand! ;)

Sorry about that. It doesn't fire until the second attempt.

jonny5
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
How does the car run, and idle after you have it started?

Disclaimer:
I generally work with more simple 2 stroke motors, and I doubt this would be the best way to go about finding the problem, but:

If it starts fine when it's cold I'd say that would indicate something with ignition, and not fule. generally if a fuel pump is going bad, a fuel filter is plugged, or for some reason the engine isn't getting the proper amount of fuel it would be worse when the car has been sitting. Ignition components will generally work best when they are warm.
I'd say check the plugs. If they look dark, or wet then your best bet is an ignition probem. But if they look light, then your engine is running lean (not getting enough fuel), and I'd blame the fuel system.

jonny5
03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't know why it would be getting hot under your stearing columb. You did say under the columb, and not by the peddles right?

ThoreauHD
03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
If heat is coming from under your steering wheel, that would be the firewall or if heat is coming from the vents, that would be the heater core being stuck open from gunk.

Not starting at the first turn means you have an ignition problem. Spark plugs or a possible vacuum leak if the condition is more pronounced.

Buy new spark plugs and replace them. Buy a fuel filter. Find a new mechanic and tell him to check the heat shield/heat from the steering column. Tell him to replace the fuel filter. If still an issue, have him check for a vacuum leak. Odds are you just need to have your spark plugs changed and the heat shield fitted. Dunno why they would be messing with it before though, if that's the actual timeline.

1995 525i
03-05-2008, 01:52 PM
If heat is coming from under your steering wheel, that would be the firewall or if heat is coming from the vents, that would be the heater core being stuck open from gunk.

Not starting at the first turn means you have an ignition problem. Spark plugs or a possible vacuum leak if the condition is more pronounced.

Buy new spark plugs and replace them. Buy a fuel filter. Find a new mechanic and tell him to check the heat shield/heat from the steering column. Tell him to replace the fuel filter. If still an issue, have him check for a vacuum leak. Odds are you just need to have your spark plugs changed and the heat shield fitted. Dunno why they would be messing with it before though, if that's the actual timeline.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll follow up on the sugestions.

whiskychaser
03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
So what I understand is that it goes:

"woo woo woo"........"wooo woo woo".........then finally (this is where it get exciting), "woo woo vroom" :D
Dave
And I think you should thank Dave for actually putting into words what everybody was thinking and nobody had the bottle to write:D Brum brum