PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues

EngPhys09
02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
I tryed to start my car last night in the cold, -21C and it turned over once and then just bogged out. Then i tryed to more times and its would turn over but then nothing.

I recently put 20w50 in becasue of a leaking ring, but i dont think this is an issue since i ran it all last winter.

Could it be a fuel issue? Filter, Pump? I know these are expensive parts any solutions?

Ross
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Charge the battery and try again. 20-50 is too heavy for -20c. 10-40 would be better until + temps.

EngPhys09
02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Charge the battery and try again. 20-50 is too heavy for -20c. 10-40 would be better until + temps.

Problem is it turns over so battery is fine. Oil is fine also.

I've determined that its an ignition problem, i think it's coil, or the ignition wires from the coil to the engine. I some how believe that its not the distributor, since i drove it 2 days ago and it ran great!

Help :(

525i winter driver
02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
I tryed to start my car last night in the cold, -21C and it turned over once and then just bogged out. Then i tryed to more times and its would turn over but then nothing.

I recently put 20w50 in becasue of a leaking ring, but i dont think this is an issue since i ran it all last winter.

Could it be a fuel issue? Filter, Pump? I know these are expensive parts any solutions?

around the same temperature i was having kind of the same starting problem. it was flooding and i believe the icv valve had actually frozen while shut - i took it inside and warmed it up and put a very tiny bit of 3in1 oil in it and the car started right away. CAUTION DANGER DANGER i don't think it was related - i think the hg went because my water pump failed but 10 minutes later my temp guage was in the red and my headgasket was kaput (and i was seriously scruuud) so... be careful dude. http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36378

EngPhys09
02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
around the same temperature i was having kind of the same starting problem. it was flooding and i believe the icv valve had actually frozen while shut - i took it inside and warmed it up and put a very tiny bit of 3in1 oil in it and the car started right away. CAUTION DANGER DANGER i don't think it was related - i think the hg went because my water pump failed but 10 minutes later my temp guage was in the red and my headgasket was kaput (and i was seriously scruuud) so... be careful dude. http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36378

I just pulled it off, it was closed, and i had a spare lying around that was open adn i put it in, it didn't help. :(

Still dieing out

525i winter driver
02-28-2008, 03:27 PM
sorry man - maybe a bit of water froze in the fuel tank/supply? gasline antifreeze maybe? dunno bout the electrics, man.

EngPhys09
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I was thinking that, but i could smell gas after trying to turn the car over a few times, the fuel line is ok i think.

525i winter driver
02-28-2008, 04:18 PM
thought of a longshot for you, my last "hf it's cold" guess - way out there but i've been having alternator problems... i think my alternator bearing is so gummed up the resistance actually creates a load on the engine (belt is good)... enough to make it even stall once (engine was still pretty cold now i think about it) this 'load' is apparent only in cold weather... maybe your alternator froze up?http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36862 i know that's far out... but i (very carefully) put (a tiny bit of) 3in1 oil in recently and still haven't heard from it. isn't winter a bitch?

EngPhys09
02-28-2008, 04:50 PM
thought of a longshot for you, my last "hf it's cold" guess - way out there but i've been having alternator problems... i think my alternator bearing is so gummed up the resistance actually creates a load on the engine (belt is good)... enough to make it even stall once (engine was still pretty cold now i think about it) this 'load' is apparent only in cold weather... maybe your alternator froze up?http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36862 i know that's far out... but i (very carefully) put (a tiny bit of) 3in1 oil in recently and still haven't heard from it. isn't winter a bitch?

Its not the alternator or battery, the car still turns over just doesn't get ignition i think. Its got to be fuel, air or ignition source. And i think its either fuel line issue or ignition part

EngPhys09
02-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Any more thoughts....HELP!!!