PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Questions

vince
02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
My 1990 M20 525i (built 5/90) had an electrical fire in the passenger side low beam a few weeks ago while driving home through snow. I pulled over and extinguished the fire, but the wiring in front of the washer tank is fried (so were the heaqdlights, brackets and washer bottle, but those are easy). Car runs fine, but lights and wipers/washers are affected.

I found a replacement set of wires on a later M50 car in a junkyard, but there are a few wires that don't match up exactly. I've checked the wiring diagrams, and they really don't answer the questions as well as I'd like. They are:

From Car:
Brown w/violet
Black w/ yellow and red stripe

From New Harness:
Black w/white and yellow

I'm thinking that with a little checking the two black w/--- wires above will match up.

I have some brown w/black stripe wires; can I just connect any one to anyone, or do they have to match a certain item?

Same thing with two green/black wires. Can I just connect either one to either one?

Thanks,

vince

Adnan
02-28-2008, 07:19 PM
My 1990 M20 525i (built 5/90) had an electrical fire in the passenger side low beam a few weeks ago while driving home through snow. I pulled over and extinguished the fire, but the wiring in front of the washer tank is fried (so were the heaqdlights, brackets and washer bottle, but those are easy). Car runs fine, but lights and wipers/washers are affected.

I found a replacement set of wires on a later M50 car in a junkyard, but there are a few wires that don't match up exactly. I've checked the wiring diagrams, and they really don't answer the questions as well as I'd like. They are:

From Car:
Brown w/violet
Black w/ yellow and red stripe

From New Harness:
Black w/white and yellow

I'm thinking that with a little checking the two black w/--- wires above will match up.

I have some brown w/black stripe wires; can I just connect any one to anyone, or do they have to match a certain item?

Same thing with two green/black wires. Can I just connect either one to either one?

Thanks,

vince

Hi,

Can you get hold of the ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) for your car and for the donorcar? That would really be the safest way to proceed. Even the Bentley might have enough detail in it to give you some idea of what's involved. Give it a look, just in case.

Sorry I can't help with your specific questions.

Regards,
Adnan

vince
02-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi Adnan,

Thanks for the reply.....

I have these, but they don't clearly show the wiring I'm looking for. That is why I asked specific questions on the board.

vince

Can you get hold of the ETM (Electrical Troubleshooting Manual) for your car and for the donorcar? That would really be the safest way to proceed. Even the Bentley might have enough detail in it to give you some idea of what's involved. Give it a look, just in case.

Sorry I can't help with your specific questions.

Regards,
Adnan[/QUOTE]