PDA

View Full Version : It's the Nagging "Washer Fuild Low" Warning

Hector
02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I searched this forum, and I think I have an idea on how to fix... Besides cleaning or replacing the sensor, is there another cause that can produce the warning signal? I've been really busy lately, and do not have much time to troubleshoot. If there is another option, I'd like to consider it as well before diving into the sensor component.

... and yes, the reservoir has plenty of fluid.

Thanks

myles
02-27-2008, 04:02 PM
This is the strangest thing. Every E34 that I've worked on (only 4) has had the sensor installed incorrectly in the reservior. The sensor has a flat edge on one side that needs to match up with the flat edge on the water bottle.

Simple fix is to turn the sensor 90degrees to make it sit correctly.

All 4 cars have then had no further problems with the sensor.

whiskychaser
02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I searched this forum, and I think I have an idea on how to fix... Besides cleaning or replacing the sensor, is there another cause that can produce the warning signal? I've been really busy lately, and do not have much time to troubleshoot. If there is another option, I'd like to consider it as well before diving into the sensor component.

... and yes, the reservoir has plenty of fluid.

Thanks
Dont think mine has one. But they are normally a simple float operated switch affair. Try lifting the float to see if the warning goes out. May even be able to 'adjust' the float arm down so it makes contact sooner. If not jumper the wires to see if the warning goes away. If it does you have your answer-duff switch

bubba966
02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Also might want to check the electrical connection to the level sensor. Might be that it's not making good contact and therefore misreading that as a low level.

A friend's '95 525iT did this on her coolant level sensor. Had plenty of coolant, but the sensor has become slightly disconnected. Re-connected it so it was then making good contact and the message went away. Might be having the same thing happening on your washer fluid level sensor.

shogun
02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
1. float breaks and is full of water = hangs down and does not float = warning

2. contacts on the float corroded

3. wire broken. Usually close to the plug of the wire loom where it is fitted to the sensor connector. Just jumper the 2 "holes' inside the plug with a wire. If warning goes, wires o.k., search on sensor.

Hector
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
for the advice. I'll plunge in to it this weekend.