PDA

View Full Version : Damn bleeder screw

etcetera
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
My bleeder screw broke when loosening this morning. I haven't had a problem in 6 months. I visited this site for probably the first time in 6 months, since the alternator went out, and the next day something breaks. ;) seems like an unlikely coincidence. JK.

The good thing is it is a super cheap part, the bad is I'm grounded until one gets here. Luckily BMA is next day ground for me.:D

bubba966
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I had that break on me when I was doing a small cooling system overhaul for a friend. Had it all finished, filled, and bled. And the damn thing broke on me when I was tightening the screw to be done with it.

Luckily both local BMW dealers had it in stock, so was able to get another one that night.

The bleeder screw is something that now I think should be replaced when you're doing any cooling system work as it's cheap to add to the order, and you don't want it to break on you when you just finish everything up.

Nobody ever mentions changing the bleeder screw. I think it should be mentioned & done.

etcetera
02-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I should have ordered 2. Maybe they haven't shipped yet and I can add one.

KenB
02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Same happened to me at 5 PM on a Sunday afternoon after renewing BMW blue coolant and putting in a new expansion tank.

I had to search through bins and bins of bolts at 2 different hardware stores to find a temporary replacement with the right diameter and thread pitch so I could go to work the next day and get to the dealer for a proper replacement.

After all that, the level sensor broke. The little plastic bit that keeps the float in place on the sensor just broke off. I was refilling the system and the float came floating to the top of the expansion tank while filling.

And I thought this was going to be an easy Sunday afternoon job...

Hours of frustration over a piece of brittle plastic.

Recommend having one on hand before any cooling system work is started.

Now I carry a spare.