PDA

View Full Version : labour time for clutch job

rob101
02-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Gf's e36 318is (with the m44) need a new clutch, i am getting the parts from BMA i'll get the pilot bearing done as well as the sach clutch kit bits (incl. throw out bearing). I am just wondering what kind of labour we're talking generally speaking i was assuming 4 hrs, looks like a bitch of a job though (hence i am letting someone else do it) so i am not quite sure.
PS i know there's an e36 section but nobody goes there hence i posted it here.

myles
02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Gf's e36 318is (with the m44) need a new clutch, i am getting the parts from BMA i'll get the pilot bearing done as well as the sach clutch kit bits (incl. throw out bearing). I am just wondering what kind of labour we're talking generally speaking i was assuming 4 hrs, looks like a bitch of a job though (hence i am letting someone else do it) so i am not quite sure.
PS i know there's an e36 section but nobody goes there hence i posted it here.

Ive done the clutch on an M44 and M43 E36. The M43 was done in one day with two of us working on it. I did the M44 by myself over a weekend.

I have a clutch aligning tool you can borrow if you want. Its not hard it just takes a while.

healtoeit
02-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I am just wondering what kind of labor we're talking generally speaking i was assuming 4 hrs, looks like a bitch of a job though (hence i am letting someone else do it) so i am not quite sure.
When I did my clutch it took over 3 weeks of the cars on jacks and about 12 hours of labor. The main reason that the car was on jacks so long is we found stuff that needed to be replaced or we broke something (butterfingers) and of course the BMW parts place was closed or would have to order the part! It is a pain but loads of fun! I am taking my experience from my e34 but the procedure is the same. If you have everything you need, it could be done in one day easy.
If you are asking what a mechanic should say in terms of labor four hours seems about right.

rob101
02-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Ive done the clutch on an M44 and M43 E36 and it can be done in one day by two keen home mechanics. I have a clutch aligning tool you can borrow if you want. Its not hard it just takes a while.
I wish i could, but its my gf's work car needs to be done pronto. I don't mind paying someone else given the complexity of the job. its not that i couldn't do it, but i don't have the transmission jacks, engine support (i think it needs one) etc. that you'd need anyway don't have the time at this stage. plus after having done the transmission linkages 1 week ago, i feel loath to be f-ed doing that again.

myles
02-26-2008, 08:34 PM
I wish i could, but its my gf's work car needs to be done pronto. I don't mind paying someone else given the complexity of the job. its not that i couldn't do it, but i don't have the transmission jacks, engine support (i think it needs one) etc. that you'd need anyway don't have the time at this stage. plus after having done the transmission linkages 1 week ago, i feel loath to be f-ed doing that again.

You don't need any special jacks etc. The tranny can just be lifted on and off, it helps to have a good creeper. The engine only needs to be supported at the back by a normal jack. The M44 weighs very little plus most of the weight stays on the engine mounts.

But if times a problem, then you'd best find someone else to do it, just make sure that they don't lubricate the throw-out bearing on the input shaft.