PDA

View Full Version : Rejuvinate leather in 1995 525i

ericole
05-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Hi folks!

My leather on the seats is getting stiff and I just did a leather protectant coating on them. Apparently I need something that goes 'deeper.' Since I got this car not new, I am not sure of the original 'softness' of the leather, so maybe it is right - but I don't think so. I also have never had leather seats, so I am not sure how it should be. I know that I have sat in other leather seats, but they have been of varying textures & levels of softness. It is pretty hard to the touch, but there aren't any cracks - but I don't want any.

Is there something I need to do to them, some deep treatment that needs to be applied to soften them up? I have another vehicle, so letting it sit is not really a problem. Also, whatever is recommended, please let me know where to get the products, and your personal experience.

Thanks!

new540iowner
05-21-2004, 03:27 PM
I spent about $50 in leather conditioners before I realized the proper procedure for rejuvenating hard leather seats. I know it sounds weird, but break out some 220 grit sandpaper and sand the seats lightly to open up
some of the pores in the leather. Next, apply some Leatherique or Colorplus leather soffener (I use Colorplus) and allow the seats to soak up the soffener. This works best in the hot sun which will speed up the absorption process.

Unregistered
05-21-2004, 03:34 PM
LEXOL

Try both cleaner and conditioner. Dilute ~50/50 with water, and make several hand-rubbed applications over several days, so it has a chance to soak in. After that, a lot of the scuffs and scratches in my '90 grey leather disappeared, and the rest softened to the point they're not noticable.

632 Regal
05-21-2004, 04:15 PM
i tried that last summer and it took the dye off the leather, not a pretty site at all!

Brian C.
05-21-2004, 04:33 PM
From Bruno's www.bmwe34.net site, his leather reconditioning procedure (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/interior/seats%20treatment.htm) gives you a good step by step plan. It's good that you have a back-up driver too.

Good Luck...

Brian C.

632 Regal
05-21-2004, 05:25 PM
grrrr...i hate mint looking seats

ericole
05-25-2004, 09:56 AM
i tried that last summer and it took the dye off the leather, not a pretty site at all!

You tried WHAT last summer - to rejuvinate the leather? You posted this directly under my post, so that is what I have to assume...

Eric

ericole
05-25-2004, 09:58 AM
As I asked in my original post, WHERE do you get these two products? Do they have good usage instructions on them??
thanks

I spent about $50 in leather conditioners before I realized the proper procedure for rejuvenating hard leather seats. I know it sounds weird, but break out some 220 grit sandpaper and sand the seats lightly to open up
some of the pores in the leather. Next, apply some Leatherique or Colorplus leather soffener (I use Colorplus) and allow the seats to soak up the soffener. This works best in the hot sun which will speed up the absorption process.

rickm
05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
I use Leatherique, which is available at - get this - http://www.leatherique.com.

ColorPlus is available at http://www.colorplus.com/

Both have online ordering available.

Bill R.
05-25-2004, 11:04 AM
nephew redid them in colorplus... you don't use 220 sandpaper incidently, color pluses website has a pdf document on the front page that tells you the procedure...I've used both leatherique and colorplus and I thought that colorplus had better customer service and my color match was much closer.
www.colorplus.com
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/635seatfinished.jpg

As I asked in my original post, WHERE do you get these two products? Do they have good usage instructions on them??
thanks

Jason
05-25-2004, 11:24 AM
the P.O. must have let the dog in the car a number of times and there are some scracthes, nothing deep, but i hate the way they look

Bill R.
05-25-2004, 11:27 AM
scratch through the surface you see the unfinished leather color underneath and the conditioner tends to make this area darken ... The only way to get rid of the scratches is to do the procedure on their pages and redye the damaged area..

the P.O. must have let the dog in the car a number of times and there are some scracthes, nothing deep, but i hate the way they look

632 Regal
05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
tried the cleaner and rejuvinator and it removed the old dye, the seats are fukt now and new covers are kinda pricy. I cant see it when I sit on them :D

You tried WHAT last summer - to rejuvinate the leather? You posted this directly under my post, so that is what I have to assume...

Eric

George M
05-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Bill...I sent an e-mail to Colorplus and asked them if they sold their dye in spray cans. I never got a response. I prefer to not hook up my gun if I don't have to and also prefer spraying to brushing the dye on.
Do you know if they sell the dye in spray can form?...presume you applied your 6'er seats with a paint gun.
George

Bill R.
05-25-2004, 01:00 PM
harbor freight that uses cans of compressed air or you can get paint spray cans that have a tire valve on them so you can pressurize yourself..the 6 was done with an old worn out craftsmen paint gun that was mostly used for primer...although some of the touch up was done with a rag soaked in the dye and it turned out ok too..

Bill...I sent an e-mail to Colorplus and asked them if they sold their dye in spray cans. I never got a response. I prefer to not hook up my gun if I don't have to and also prefer spraying to brushing the dye on.
Do you know if they sell the dye in spray can form?...presume you applied your 6'er seats with a paint gun.
George

ericole
05-25-2004, 04:25 PM
that picture is huge! :)
Those look to be the same color as my seats. A tan color, light?
eric

nephew redid them in colorplus... you don't use 220 sandpaper incidently, color pluses website has a pdf document on the front page that tells you the procedure...I've used both leatherique and colorplus and I thought that colorplus had better customer service and my color match was much closer.
www.colorplus.com

ericole
05-25-2004, 04:32 PM
this is totally new to me. What all did you use? What color - I see a few listed for BMWs - did you use?
thanks,
eric

www.colorplus.com

George M
05-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Believe you are correct...they don't sell spray cans of the dye. May just use my el' cheapo Campbell Hausfield gun.
Thanks Bill.
Georghe