PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed-Purchasing 235/45/17 summers

spitfire
02-24-2008, 12:05 PM
My Pilot Primacy tires are finally finished, they were VERY-VERY noisy from the get-go. Looking for a summer tire-235/45/17 that is good in the rain and QUIET. I know that this tire size is inherently loud but does anyone out there have experience with a tire of this size that is of good quality and is quiet. Cheers

M20Turbo
02-24-2008, 06:31 PM
My Pilot Primacy tires are finally finished, they were VERY-VERY noisy from the get-go. Looking for a summer tire-235/45/17 that is good in the rain and QUIET. I know that this tire size is inherently loud but does anyone out there have experience with a tire of this size that is of good quality and is quiet. Cheers

I'm running Yokohama ES100 245/40/17 and they are pretty good in the rain. Not so good in the snow. http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireSizes.asp?TireID=9

I also like the Yokohama AVS Sport: not as good in the rain but great on dry roads. http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireSizes.asp?TireID=10

Black 535i
02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I am getting my second set this spring and got over 60K miles from the last set but alas they are below the wearbars. I loved the tires and had no issues with them in the rain at all and were fairly quiet in the dry.

Blitzkrieg Bob
02-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I picked up some Federal SS's for the 525.

all four, mounted, balanced and tire disposal for under $400.00

It's a cheapo tire, but it seems to have good reveiws.

Rides better than the Toyo proxes I had on it.

RobPatt
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
...and how you like them, as my primacy's are howling, and nearly wore out....

bubba966
02-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Pilot Sport PS2. Run 'em in that size on my M-Sport. Don't make noise. Have incredible grip. And have surprised me at how well they do in the wet. Ran 'em in some nasty weather we had last winter and even though I ended up driving through standing water a lot for a couple of days I never had a problem with the PS2's.

Tiger
02-26-2008, 08:54 AM
General UHP!!! I got three sets on three cars... Highly recommended and great price. Very quiet tire, sticky, and comfortable tire.

BMWCCA1
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Your experiences are important, but . . .
As someone who replaced a set of Avon M550 all-season 234/45x17s with Pirellis snow tires just to get some peace and quiet, please let us know how many miles you have on the tires you're recommending or not recommending. My Avon's were fine for about 20,000 miles. They aren't worn out, they're just too noisy to drive. Honestly, the old snow tires are MUCH quieter and have probably the same mileage. I've put over 8,000 highway miles on them since November and I'll be putting another 2,000 on them this week.

Price is a bit of an issue with me but never enough to go generic. I've also decided to go All Season, otherwise the ES100s would get my vote, though I'm pretty certain they've been discontinued for the S-Drive model. I'm considering the Yoko Avid W4s at $115 each. Any experience?

Tiger
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I also have Avon M500... this tire is noisy when tires are cold... grip is okay but kinda wear out fast. I have this for 3 years... I think about 14000 miles.

General UHP is far better than Avon M500. Only bought it last year so all the cars got about 8000 miles each... one may have hit 10,000 miles as he drives alot... All raves about it... Super quiet.

Read all the comments at tirerack.com