PDA

View Full Version : overheating?

Paul in NZ
02-23-2008, 11:18 PM
what is the "status" of the entire cooing system?What does"added vitamins!" mean?

mitsi_matt
02-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Hi took my E34 out for it's first day drifting yesterday. after eight laps noticed temp approching red, pulled off track by this time just touching red, pulled thermostat out (quick bodge fix) thought this may be the problem. ran car up and down road for ages obviously stayed very cool and then left ticking over for ages reached normal temp after a while and stayed there. went out again managed 4 more laps and same again and when i stopped temp seemed to keep rising so turned car off to save any further damage. then drove it home no problemns at all in normal driving conditions. no smoke runs as ushuall. could this be either insuffisiant cooling system for application i was using it for, blocked rad, water pump. of is it more likley to be dreadad head hasket. how do i test for these things? any advice would be greatly appriceated.

mitsi_matt
02-24-2008, 03:34 AM
what do you mean by status?

Ross
02-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Drifting,huh.
You may not have enough air flow through the radiator due to a bad fan clutch. Since your "angle of attack" doesn't promote correct airflow you would rely on the fan almost entirely. Just a theory.
Doesn't sound like a head gasket BTW.
If it is a failed clutch and you are revving the piss out of it for this drifting business you may have a catastrophic failure.
What are those itty bitty solenoids in your sig for?

Omega
02-24-2008, 08:14 AM
From the "Added Vitimins" description and the solenoid pic it looks like N2O, nitrous oxide... Yea Feckin Ha!

Sounds like insufficient air flow through the radiator. Is the fan clutch OK?

An old drag racing trick is to fire the dregs from your nitrous bottle through the rad fins to aid cooling after a race. Obviously this is not a full bottle!

mitsi_matt
02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
cheers, having let it tick over for ages again today fan does not seem to spin any faster when hot so think i will pull it and use an electric one with a termostatic controller, solinoids are for nitrous.

M20Turbo
02-24-2008, 11:17 AM
cheers, having let it tick over for ages again today fan does not seem to spin any faster when hot so think i will pull it and use an electric one with a termostatic controller, solinoids are for nitrous.

I use to have problems with over heating as well, solution was to get rid of the stock fan and clutch (one less thing for the engine to have to turn). The electric fan with an adjustable thermostat has worked well for the last 7 years.....

FIRO...AZM!!!
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
I live in Saudi Arabia...(Very Hot) and I have the overheating problem specialy in trafic... :(
My Car is 535i manual e34 90'th
How can you help me to solve this problem (if I want to plave the electrical fan; how to do it? and how much it will cost? and how to get it to Saudi Arabia and how much for shipping?)

Thanks

healtoeit
05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I live in Saudi Arabia...(Very Hot) and I have the overheating problem specialy in trafic... :(

Look up the active autowerk racing thermostat and they have a aluminum housing as well, that could help you out. Racing puts stresses on the car that will never be felt during street driving the cooling system was working over time. Look up those parts and see if they help.