PDA

View Full Version : valve cover gasket

wolfpack
02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I noticed some hesitation in my 94 525i, so I decided to pull a plug and have a look. When I removed the #1 coil pack, I saw a decent amount of oil pooled up in the bottom of the hole. It looks to me like this is coming from the rubber seal near the top of the recess for the spark plug. I'm guessing this is the valve cover gasket. Has anyone had a similar experience? The gasket job doesn't look to daunting. That's one of the things I love about a straight 6 motor. Things are generally very accessible.

bad_manners_god
02-23-2008, 06:31 PM
I noticed some hesitation in my 94 525i, so I decided to pull a plug and have a look. When I removed the #1 coil pack, I saw a decent amount of oil pooled up in the bottom of the hole. It looks to me like this is coming from the rubber seal near the top of the recess for the spark plug. I'm guessing this is the valve cover gasket. Has anyone had a similar experience? The gasket job doesn't look to daunting. That's one of the things I love about a straight 6 motor. Things are generally very accessible.

Had the same problem, the seals are dried up, super easy and straightforward to change the gasket.

The whole cover comes on with a 10mm Socket , Short Extension and Rachet.

whiskychaser
02-24-2008, 04:59 AM
The whole cover comes on with a 10mm Socket , Short Extension and Rachet.
... and a rag to stick down the open plug hole so you dont drop bits in...

filip00
02-24-2008, 06:02 AM
i changed the gasket recently, it's about an hour work, just be careful not to drop any screws, the screws near the firewall are irritatingly inaccessible.

bsell
02-24-2008, 07:02 AM
Where's the best (read - cost effective) place to get the gasket?

I think I paid around 30 euro for the gasket set and a bag of 25 grommets that seal around the valve cover nuts at the local dealer (Germany).

As the valvecover nuts are designed as a positive lock system (can only tighten so much, won't over-compress the gasket), the grommets must be tall (not old and crushed) to apply the proper pressure on the valvecover to seal the valvecover gaskets.

The worst part of the job is peeling apart the plastic housing that holds the ignition and fuel injectors' wiring harness.

I used a speed wrench and regular 10mm socket or the speed wrench and a long extension with a 10mm universal socket on the end for the lower firewall-side nuts.

Brian

repenttokyo
02-24-2008, 10:07 AM
i got mine at BMA for a good price.

wolfpack
02-24-2008, 10:29 AM

bad_manners_god
02-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Any automotive parts store, just shop around, defiently not dealer. I paid $40 for mine awhile back, but that's garage price.

lil-beast-e34
02-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I just found out i need to change my gasket also. but mines need to gaskets well that what i get for have an M60