PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on front struts installation??

Jeff N.
02-23-2008, 09:50 AM
That's a pretty good overview on bmwe34.net. It's not the hardest job in the world but it's not the easiest either. Your comfort will depend on how experienced in general you are with car work.

If you've never dealt with a spring compressor before, be sure to read up on the absolute correct way to compress the spring and release the top nut. Mistakes could cause some real injury.

otisTX
02-23-2008, 11:33 AM
My 1995 525I needs new front struts. I've never done this before on any previous vehicle I've owned. From what I understand, I'll need a special tool to compress the struts before installation. Is this true. Does anyone have a link that may guide me through the installation? Any additional advice would be apprecited. Thanks!

MBXB
02-23-2008, 11:42 AM
www.bmwe34.net

BMWCCA1
02-25-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm comfortable using the type of spring compressor shown in the links for the REAR springs, but not for the fronts. If they slip off you could find yourself dead. I prefer this kind (below) for front struts. They're very cheap from Harbor Freight:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/P5199031.jpg

otisTX
02-25-2008, 09:13 AM
That's a pretty good overview on bmwe34.net. It's not the hardest job in the world but it's not the easiest either. Your comfort will depend on how experienced in general you are with car work.

If you've never dealt with a spring compressor before, be sure to read up on the absolute correct way to compress the spring and release the top nut. Mistakes could cause some real injury.

I appreciate your help. The procedure outlined on BMWE34.net is very helpful.

otisTX
02-25-2008, 09:14 AM
www.bmwe34.net

Thanks, this is very hellpful indeed.