PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump not Priming...any ideas??

dls322
02-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi again,

Thanks for all your help in my last post. I ruled out the starter not being the issue and i was able to tow her to the firestation to work on her.
It seems now the fuel pump is not priming. In my mustang, i can hear the pump "prime" when i turn the key to on. I don't here this on the 525. She is still not starting. I actually got her to quickly fire up with some starting fluid, then she quickly died. She defiantly isn't getting fuel. Do you guys know if there is a relay for the fuel pump or anything else to check. Autozone carries the pump for $300...ouch! I checked the fuses, they are ok. Is there an easy way to get at the pump without dropping the tank?

Thanks again guys, I can't wait to get her back on the road!!!!

dls322
02-21-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/FuelPump.htm

Seems like i answered my question :D . Anyone know off hand what style pump came on the 89, i hear there where 2 different styles? Is there a relay at all?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave M
02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Great, thanks for searching a bit.

Folks are probably getting tired of seeing this pic, but here we go again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Fuel%20Pump/DSC00502.jpg

Relays are located under a black plastic cover behind the passenger side strut mount. I'm bypassing the relay in the photo in order to test the pump.

A used pump may be a solution if $300 is too steep. I just picked one up from a board member for ~$50. They can be had on ebay or from Bavauto for the same.

Dave M

Jon K
02-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Dave I saw on the main page you were the last to post and the topic was "Fuel pump not priming" and I was like wtf that pumped worked 100%!!! (the one I mailed you). Haha

Dave M
02-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Dave I saw on the main page you were the last to post and the topic was "Fuel pump not priming" and I was like wtf that pumped worked 100%!!! (the one I mailed you). Haha

Oh, we'll see about that. I expect a 100k warranty :D