PDA

View Full Version : Changed my Slave cylinder, still a no-go

Monastie
02-21-2008, 04:45 AM
Ok first off, I changed it while the pedal was to the floor... is that bad?
(because I read that its bad if you press the pedal with the slave cylinder out)

Then I took it back out (this time with the pedal up) because I wasn't able to bleed it, so with the slave cylinder out and the bleed hole pointing up I pumped till the liquid started flowing out and put it back on the transmition.

Then I go to press the pedal.... falls to the floor...

I don't feel like doing the master cylinder..... I've been reading its a pain in the ass....

M20Turbo
02-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Ok first off, I changed it while the pedal was to the floor... is that bad?
(because I read that its bad if you press the pedal with the slave cylinder out)

Then I took it back out (this time with the pedal up) because I wasn't able to bleed it, so with the slave cylinder out and the bleed hole pointing up I pumped till the liquid started flowing out and put it back on the transmition.

Then I go to press the pedal.... falls to the floor...

I don't feel like doing the master cylinder..... I've been reading its a pain in the ass....

Your Master cylinder is bad, and yes it is a pain in rear. I spent 6 plus hours trying to thread the line onto the end of the master cylinder, I ended-up cross threading. Lucky Gale lives near by, I gave him a call and within a couple of hours he brought over a chase bolt to fix the cross threading & new hard line (which he connected to the master cylinder before installing, and then fished threw the firewall). As I fished the line threw the firewall inside the car, Gale was bending the hard line in under the car. We were done in less than 2 hours, including bleeding the system & the car back on all fours. Here is Gale's link with some great information http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm check under pedal swap info.

attack eagle
02-21-2008, 06:30 PM
not necessarily.
it is extremely difficult to bleed the slave unless you take it out of the trans, push it in to bleed the air out of the slave, and reinstall it.

I found that I could not press hard enough in the confined space to get it back in the trans, while still being able to put the nuts on.

I let the fluid back out and took it to have it "reverse bled" by pressurizing fluid thru the bleed screw and reverse filling the reservoir.

After that, all was well.

Take it to be bled with a vacuum bleeder, pressure bleeder or reverse bleeder first.

M20Turbo
02-21-2008, 06:41 PM
not necessarily.
it is extremely difficult to bleed the slave unless you take it out of the trans, push it in to bleed the air out of the slave, and reinstall it.

I found that I could not press hard enough in the confined space to get it back in the trans, while still being able to put the nuts on.

I let the fluid back out and took it to have it "reverse bled" by pressurizing fluid thru the bleed screw and reverse filling the reservoir.

After that, all was well.

Take it to be bled with a vacuum bleeder, pressure bleeder or reverse bleeder first.

My fault, I just assumed when one bleeds the system that they are using a pressure bleeder (http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp).

Monastie
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
but, say I have an air bubble, shouldn't I have at least a little pressure in the pedal?

and ya pressing and putting the slave cylinder back on with the car on jackstands was kinda tricky...

attack eagle
02-21-2008, 08:21 PM
in most cases you don't have a little tiny bubble, you probably have half the slave filled with air... especially since the bleeder is on the bottom. (yesI know the OEM one has a passage to pick air up from he top... but I bet the more common and cheaper aftermarket ones do not).