PDA

View Full Version : Transmission input shaft movement?

Jon K
02-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey guys,

Just remembered that I wanted to ask this question. When handling my trans last weekend the input shaft is straight and does not have any in and out movement, but it has some up and down movement. Its VERY minor... like, I'd have a hard time even measuring it... maybe .5mm ... maybe.

But, what is the allowable movement on the shaft and how do you fix it?

Jon K
02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
anyone? i heard there is a bearing behind the guide tube or whatever its called that fails and makes the input shaft rattle in neutral

attack eagle
02-21-2008, 12:43 AM
nothing in bentley Jon?

632 Regal
02-21-2008, 01:27 AM
you check the nut behind the wheel yet?

Morgenster
02-21-2008, 03:02 AM
anyone? i heard there is a bearing behind the guide tube or whatever its called that fails and makes the input shaft rattle in neutral

Wouldn't the clutch throwout bearing compensate for this?

Jon K
02-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Morgenster no the TO bearing isn't designed for this. There is a bearing supporting the input shaft. Hrm.

Jon K
02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I decided to leave it - if I have an issue with it I'll switch to a ZF 320

Kalevera
02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Some axial play is normal, but I couldn't tell you the spec of the top of my head, it should be in the repair manual (actually, maybe not if it's the ZF).

Yes, the bearing can be replaced. On the Getrags, you have to press off the front half of the case, you can then replace the layshaft bearing and input bearing. The input bearing is shimmed, so it needs to be set correctly (and there is definitively a spec on that), or there's the risk of MORE axial play (and more noise). Chances are that the existing shims will be enough to do the trick.