PDA

View Full Version : Need to Tow my E34.....suggestions

repenttokyo
02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
if it's an auto, disconnecting the drive shaft will keep the transmission safe. so will raising the rear wheels.

but 2 blocks of towing isn't going to ruin a tranny. that is more of a concern for highway speed towing.

ElNormo
02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks...is there anywhere on the front of the car that i can attach a tow strap?

There are two towing hooks, hidden behind removable plastic panels, on the bottom of the front bumper. I don't have a picture, but they're down next to the fog lights. You can run straps to them.

Norman

Paul in NZ
02-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks guys, you rule. I'll let you know how it works out.
because the tow hooks are fairly well flush withthe bumper be careful with how you attach the tow ropes,as a tight turn could see some bumper damage.Try to have the towing points in the same position on the towed and towing vehicle(or as closely aligned as you can)

dls322
02-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi guys,
I have an 89 525i, I've been fixing her up over the last year that i've owned her. I think the starter is going on her and i need some advice on how to tow her. I was planning on having my buddy just pull the car with his explorer. We only have to go like 2 blocks. Are there any specific towing points for this car?
I asked my one friend who works at the "stealership" and they said that towing the car will ruin the transmission.

Any suggestions, it's winter and if i can get her up to the fire company garage i can work on her in the warmth and light.

Thanks!!!!

Dave

dls322
02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
if it's an auto, disconnecting the drive shaft will keep the transmission safe. so will raising the rear wheels.

but 2 blocks of towing isn't going to ruin a tranny. that is more of a concern for highway speed towing.

Thanks...is there anywhere on the front of the car that i can attach a tow strap?

dls322
02-20-2008, 03:00 PM
There are two towing hooks, hidden behind removable plastic panels, on the bottom of the front bumper. I don't have a picture, but they're down next to the fog lights. You can run straps to them.

Norman

Thanks guys, you rule. I'll let you know how it works out.

dls322
02-21-2008, 09:31 AM
ok, everything worked out great. FYI, i only had 1 tow point and that is on the passenger side. Also it took me a minute to discover how to open the little doors in the front bumper. It's actually a little button you push and it open right up......bmw quality craftsmanship, i love it.

Ross
02-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Two blocks? Friends?
What do you need a tow truck for?