PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a 95 540i

Tiger
02-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I would pass on that car. Too many things wrong with it. I owned my car for 9 years and from the sound of that... too much money is involved to fix it all up.

Phatty5BMW
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey guys, I haven't been around in a while, just have a lot of stuff going on.

My little sis wrecked her Bravada, and my dad is looking to buy an e34!!!

Hes looking at a 540 with 150k on it, but he said he drove it today and the car idles a little rough, and there is a HUGE vibration comming through the car. He said it was about 40mph all the way up to about 70(all the faster he could go).He said it wasn't engine speed related more of a road speed related.

He couldn't really do the things I told him to do because the salesman was with him. He said it felt like it was comming from the rear of the car, yet vibrated the whole car, and sounded like the sunroof open without the flapper, or like almost driving on the rumble strip. A very low almost bass sounding vibration. It is at a bmw dealer but the dealer was too busy to put it up on the lift so he could check a few things.

He is a semi-driver so time was kind of an issue and would be kind of dumb to pay the dealer to look at something that was theirs.

3900 bucks is what they want, and won't go any lower. I guess the car is beautiful, either oxford or island green, and he really really likes it but with me 3 hours away its kind of hard to see/hear/feel it for myself.

I guess what I am asking is what would you guys think it could be? I know the info is pretty vauge, but to me sounds like A. Guibo? or center bearing? Not sure if they have a guibo or not as some do some don't. B. Rear axles toasted. C. Driveshaft toasted. D. Rear end going out.

He said the front is stiff at all speeds. The car does have all new yoko's all the way around, but he said it doesn't feel like there is a non-balanced tire issue. Its waay worse than that

I explained to him that the front end can cause some major shimmys, but he said it doesn't feel like the front end, that its more prominent from the rear, but is very audiable and the vibration feels as if it is comming through the floor towards the rear yet vibrating the whole car, and its soo loud he had to get out of it after a few miles because it was driving him nuts!

He loves the car but for the same price there is a 530 that he is going to check out, but would much rather have the 540.

I got a 535 and have never had this issue. Just wondering if it sounds like something major or something that I could fix that wouldn't be a pocket breaker.

I guess if I have to, I take the 3 hour ride. He doesn't know much about e34's so he was wanting a second opinion on it. Maybe someone around the chicago area go take it for a ride for him? If not, I guess I will go take the ride and check it out!

Any input would be great guys!

Thanks!

-Pat

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 08:40 PM
there is a HUGE vibration comming through the car. He said it was about 40mph all the way up to about 70(all the faster he could go).He said it wasn't engine speed related more of a road speed related.

He couldn't really do the things I told him to do because the salesman was with him. He said it felt like it was comming from the rear of the car, yet vibrated the whole car, and sounded like the sunroof open without the flapper, or like almost driving on the rumble strip. A very low almost bass sounding vibration. It is at a bmw dealer but the dealer was too busy to put it up on the lift so he could check a few things.

Does the vibration get worse when he brakes? if so it's probably the thrust arms. 150k is about the milage they go out as well. Also, it could be something as simple as the lug nuts are not torqued properly for the rear vibration.