PDA

View Full Version : Sorry but I can't figure this out

///Sniper535
02-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Auto Dim mirror connection on an 02/89 535.

I found another used connection under the head liner, i know it works because every time I try to splice the wires to the auto dim plug I blow the fuse for my sunroof/power locks/all wiper settings except for full speed/ and Power Windows

The wires I found are:
red/green I think it is? or may be purple but i remember it being green
gray/black, could be white
brown

They had a 3 pin plug connector originally.

Can someone that has successfully connected an auto dim mirror to an early E34 give me advice?

thanks in advance

billy
02-19-2008, 08:18 PM
its very simple it only needs 2 wires, just get yourself a multimeter and check the voltage is switched, is only on with ignition, you dont want it powered all the time.
sorry but your post would suggest you are randomly splicing into the 1st 3 pin plug you find, there are lots of spare plugs in the car you going to damage something with this approach

winfred
02-19-2008, 10:09 PM
ditto two wires, i hook them in to the head light circuit so it only works at night

///Sniper535
02-20-2008, 12:50 AM
isn't there supposed to be a plug for the auto dim mirror under the headliner anyways? So far the only thing damaged was a fuse that I replaced twice so far. haha

attack eagle
02-20-2008, 02:00 AM
might not be one on your 89... thus the request that you TEST first.

uscharalph
02-20-2008, 02:10 AM
isn't there supposed to be a plug for the auto dim mirror under the headliner anyways? So far the only thing damaged was a fuse that I replaced twice so far. haha
haha? LOL!!!

///Sniper535
02-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Can I power the mirror using the power and ground from the sunroof switch? If so, which color wires are they? and should I connect it to the wires for the illumination(which doesn't work on my switch) or just the power and ground for just the button functions?

thanks

billy
02-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Can I power the mirror using the power and ground from the sunroof switch? If so, which color wires are they? and should I connect it to the wires for the illumination(which doesn't work on my switch) or just the power and ground for just the button functions?

thanks

No you cant connect it to the illumination circuit, that circuit is dimmable to alter the brightness of the lights, seriously mate from your past posts on this matter, im really concerned your going to cause a fire in the wiring, you have no idea what your doing.

Have you bought a multimeter as I advised you to do?