PDA

View Full Version : Central locking disable procedure

Ross
02-19-2008, 05:40 PM
The old schwarz mare ain't what she used to be.
Due to a known bad lock actuator and God knows what else the central locking system has finally gotten completely out of control. Initially the car would relock itself over and over or UNlock over and over. Today it locks me in the car while driving, I can pull the lock up manually to get out but it relocks momentarily. Knowing the difficulty involved in opening a double locked BMW door this is unacceptable in the event of a crash where I cannot unlock the door myself. Locking the drivers door when getting out now locks everything up firmly, no unlocking at all. So....

Emergency unlock.

AT THE PASS (R) DOOR turn the key clockwise until it stops, lift handle and turn it to the 90* position, turn HARD a bit further to unlock that door at least. Pull up the rear seat cushion to gain access to the rear modules and fuses. If the other doors haven't unlocked removing the relay module (the rearmost rectangular module in the rear fusebox) should allow you to pull the knobs back up to unlock them. Remove fuse #31, a brown 7.5a fuse, it's the one in the middle of the group of three brown fuses in the rear fusebox. Replace the RM if removed.
If your car is like mine it's theftproof by virtue of it's age. Who cares if it locks? I'll fix it when the temps are double digit.

timandbim
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Not sure if this will help... but... I had locking problems in cold weather on the 2 replacement doors I put on in December. I thought it was an electrical issue but I'm pretty sure the latches were sticking somehow and it was messing things up because the problems completely disappeared after I gave the latch assemblies on the door a good grease-up. Your emergency procedure is good to know though, for when my 'marine' grease wears out.