PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

healtoeit
02-18-2008, 09:00 PM
OK!
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but my dad put a cold air intake in his e39 and the throttle response has improved alot. I just finished helping a friend put one in his ricer and his throttle response has improved as well. I would like to know if the K&N air filter that I have in my stock airbox is the best way to go and what other Cold air intake options their are for my 525i! I was looking around and found
http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=142.52.34.100&Category_Code=e34
That looks like it would just suck in hot air to me, so then I was thinking of makiing my own, but then I searched the forum and found that if you place the air intake too low it might suck up water (kind of a "duh" thing to me). So, what should/can I do if anything? Any suggestions?
Thankx

bad_manners_god
02-18-2008, 09:08 PM
OK!
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but my dad put a cold air intake in his e39 and the throttle response has improved alot. I just finished helping a friend put one in his ricer and his throttle response has improved as well. I would like to know if the K&N air filter that I have in my stock airbox is the best way to go and what other Cold air intake options their are for my 525i! I was looking around and found
http://www.racdyn-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=142.52.34.100&Category_Code=e34
That looks like it would just suck in hot air to me, so then I was thinking of makiing my own, but then I searched the forum and found that if you place the air intake too low it might suck up water (kind of a "duh" thing to me). So, what should/can I do if anything? Any suggestions?
Thankx

That's kind of the same setup I have except I went to a performance shop and just purchased the universal fittings I needed with a place for the sensor and a universal cone for about 60$ or even the ebay CAI for the E34 aren't that bad either except the cone isn't ideal to be re-used.

I know a friend with a e46 who went for a Dinan CAI, and it's an solid piece that goes through the bottom of the engine bay and sits close to the floor/fender well. Except when you look at the red cone filter, it's black because of all the crap that it picks up from being so low to the ground.

The setup that you saw doesn't actually get as much heat as you think, mine is parallel to the radiator fan and there is no shroud on my fan.

http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/DSC00224-copy.jpg

BigKriss
02-19-2008, 09:41 AM
i made my own to the stock air box and stock air filter element

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
What piping material did you use? Also, was their any noticeable difference in performance?
Thankx

BigKriss
02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
pvc, no difference noticed. i made a post about it a long time ago.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/badmannersgod/my_car_pics/DSC00224-copy.jpg

this setup is getting heatsoaked from the engine. You need some kind of separation between the engine and the cai, or there is no point in locating the filter element free inside the engine bay.

bad_manners_god
02-19-2008, 12:54 PM
What piping material did you use? Also, was their any noticeable difference in performance?
Thankx

It's plastic material with a chrome exterior. Defiently Noticed more response and more power throughout the RPM band.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 02:12 PM
What would you suggest as a barrier?

any material you can get your hands on that you can easily form and that will not transfer heat from the engine compartment into the isolated compartment that you are making for your air filter. It's also a good idea to ensure that there is a path to outside cold air to your isolated compartment.

repenttokyo
02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
OK!
Is the air inside the front bumper/ behind the headlight (which is where the stock air box seems to take its air from) considered "cold?"
I ask this because their a plastic shield behind the headlights, and I was thinking of taking the driver's side one out and placing the air filter in that area... but I'm skeptical about removing parts like this. They have to be there for a reason right?

the main idea is to keep the hot air from the engine away from your filter element. That is why the stock air filter is placed at the front of the car. So a barrier helping you do this is a good idea. Yes, the air is relatively 'colder' up front. From what I can see, the shield behind the headlights is there to protect them from getting wet. I have removed mine from the right hand side with no ill effects. Some people even remove a headlight in order to get cold air to their filter, although this is a bit extreme for the street.

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
this setup is getting heatsoaked from the engine. You need some kind of separation between the engine and the cai, or there is no point in locating the filter element free inside the engine bay.

What would you suggest as a barrier?

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 05:56 PM
It's also a good idea to ensure that there is a path to outside cold air to your isolated compartment.
OK!
Is the air inside the front bumper/ behind the headlight (which is where the stock air box seems to take its air from) considered "cold?"
I ask this because their a plastic shield behind the headlights, and I was thinking of taking the driver's side one out and placing the air filter in that area... but I'm skeptical about removing parts like this. They have to be there for a reason right?

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Some people even remove a headlight in order to get cold air to their filter, although this is a bit extreme for the street.

hehe! Next time I go to Summit Point I'm doing that!

I will post pics of when I get it done, probably within the next month or so. Also, The pvc piping, is that flexible? Where can I find some?
Thankx

billy
02-19-2008, 08:23 PM
hehe! Next time I go to Summit Point I'm doing that!

I will post pics of when I get it done, probably within the next month or so. Also, The pvc piping, is that flexible? Where can I find some?
Thankx

just stick the stock air box in, your making absolutely no extra power, in fact with this setup you are loosing it

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
just stick the stock air box in, your making absolutely no extra power, in fact with this setup you are loosing it
I haven't put one in yet! That is not my set up, Read my original post and you will get up to speed! :)

billy
02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
I haven't put one in yet! That is not my set up, Read my original post and you will get up to speed! :)

well then don't bother taking it out!
id seen the setup that bad manners had set up, typical boy racer thing if im not too far off the mark, complete waste of time

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
id seen the setup that bad manners had set up, typical boy racer thing if im not too far off the mark, complete waste of time
I know, that is not the set up I'm going for. I'm trying to figure out one that will actually take in more cold air then the stock air box and be in a clean place... i.e. no water will get in it/no dirt will get in it
he has a pic of his set up on this thread

bad_manners_god
02-19-2008, 08:56 PM
well then don't bother taking it out!

I really have to try with the stock air box on a dyno and then put the Cone on.

The Cone DEFIENTLY improves response, maybe a little power.
And DEFIENTLY increases the sound, which I like to hear.

billy
02-19-2008, 09:09 PM
I really have to try with the stock air box on a dyno and then put the Cone on.

The Cone DEFIENTLY improves response, maybe a little power.
And DEFIENTLY increases the sound, which I like to hear.

yep id like to see the dyno results for that especially when the engine bay is warm, all accounts ive seen are to show that its worse off for this setup.

Perhaps if you removed a headlight and ducted air direct to the cone you might get somewhere, however the stock air box isnt really restrictive.

bad_manners_god
02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
yep id like to see the dyno results for that especially when the engine bay is warm, all accounts ive seen are to show that its worse off for this setup.

Perhaps if you removed a headlight and ducted air direct to the cone you might get somewhere, however the stock air box isnt really restrictive.

I always wondered, the faster you go, the more air rushes into the engine bay, right?

So wouldn't the more air rushing into the engine bay be sucked in by the cone before getting hot from the engine bay?

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 09:30 PM

the place I work over the summer might be getting a drive on dyno. So their is a slim chance i will be albe to test them out this summer!

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 09:36 PM
I always wondered, the faster you go, the more air rushes into the engine bay, right?

So wouldn't the more air rushing into the engine bay be sucked in by the cone before getting hot from the engine bay?
No, not true, the placement of you particular cai is taking heat from the radiator and the fan. Your cai has no way to get cool air when your engine bay is hot. The air flow does not go to that part of the engine bay. But the ducting that Billy was talking about would fix your problem...which is the set up i am going for on the track.

bad_manners_god
02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
No, not true, the placement of you particular cai is taking heat from the radiator and the fan. Your cai has no way to get cool air when your engine bay is hot. The air flow does not go to that part of the engine bay. But the ducting that Billy was talking about would fix your problem...which is the set up i am going for on the track.

Ok, just wanted to make sure of that. We'll at my dad's garage we have a lancer ralliart that is going for scrap and has an actual CAI running near the bottom Fog light, so I'll just take his AEM tuping and fittings and mount mine somewhere near my fog's with a shield from water.

healtoeit
02-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok, just wanted to make sure of that. We'll at my dad's garage we have a lancer ralliart that is going for scrap and has an actual CAI running near the bottom Fog light, so I'll just take his AEM tuping and fittings and mount mine somewhere near my fog's with a shield from water.
When you get it finished could you post some pics? I'm trying to figure out the best route for the piping! Also, i saw you ask about the 540i Break ducts, I think the ducting for the breaks would get in the way of the air filter if you were to put it by your fog lights. Just a thought!
thankx

bad_manners_god
02-19-2008, 09:55 PM
When you get it finished could you post some pics? I'm trying to figure out the best route for the piping! Also, i saw you ask about the 540i Break ducts, I think the ducting for the breaks would get in the way of the air filter if you were to put it by your fog lights. Just a thought!
thankx

I like the way the ducts look more than the actual braking performance aspect....However, if I do put the brake ducts, I'll run the air near the power steering resorvoir where I might mount the Air Intake.

winfred
02-19-2008, 10:15 PM
heres mine, old and sold 90 535
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/535r%20motor.jpg
and da shark which i have since built a shield
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/11/26/427251/633csi/right%20m30.JPG