PDA

View Full Version : Running cable to front console

ElNormo
02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
I've installed an XM Satellite Radio (love it, btw). The cable from the antenna is currently running into the trunk and follows the existing cabling (probably for the cd changer) into the cabin, then pops out under the rear seat, dives underneath the driver's seat, and runs up to the radio head unit, which is sitting next to the gear shifter.

The cabling mess at the driver's feet is a little unsightly, so I'm trying to figure out the best way for the cable to magically appear from the ashtray.

Should I remove the center console and run the cable underneath? The Bentley Manual indicates that I should disable the airbag before removing the console. What's the reasoning here?

Thanks for any advice,

Norman Elton

gmannino
02-17-2008, 06:26 PM
My GPS antenna is located on my passenger side of the front dash. Satellite antenna do not have to go on top of the car or on the trunk despite what the manual says. Especially XM. Running the wire from the top of the dash through the ashtray is much easier.

winfred
02-17-2008, 06:36 PM
i usually run cd changer cables on top of the hump from under the back seat to under the console, a clothes hanger usually gets it though

ElNormo
02-17-2008, 07:59 PM
i usually run cd changer cables on top of the hump from under the back seat to under the console, a clothes hanger usually gets it though

Interesting. On top of the carpet? How does it "pop out" at the front of the console?

Norman

winfred
02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
under the carpet, once you get it under the rear of the console it can come up through the hole in the carpet for the parking brake then you just run it forward

bad_manners_god
02-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Run it from the passenger side, it's a lot easier after removing the glove box, speaker kick-down panel and the carpet trim thats on the passengers left(attached to the console)

The just push the wire through any opening and catch it with your hand from the head-unit opening.

Ferret
02-18-2008, 12:09 AM
under the carpet, once you get it under the rear of the console it can come up through the hole in the carpet for the parking brake then you just run it forward

A la...
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/aud/IMG_1764Large.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/aud/IMG_1767Large.jpg

uscharalph
02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
I ran my cd changer cableunder the back seat, then over to the channel inside the driver's side doors. You pull up the sill strips at the base inside each door. Then inside the dirver's kick panel and over the steering column.

repenttokyo
02-18-2008, 05:57 AM
My GPS antenna is located on my passenger side of the front dash. Satellite antenna do not have to go on top of the car or on the trunk despite what the manual says. Especially XM. Running the wire from the top of the dash through the ashtray is much easier.

an XM antennae only works well inside a car if it has a direct view of the southern sky. I have had mine inside my car for years, on the rear panel shelf, and it works very well if you are in a major city with repeaters, and about 90 percent of the time out in the non-repeater countryside, but even on the rear parcel shelf I still get dropouts from time to time due to trees and other obstacles.

I run the antenae cable underneath the door sills and bring it out and across under my driver's side floor mat and then coil the excess cable under the center console. It's not the most visually appealing installation, but it does keept it out of the way. I never considered using the passenger side, perhaps I will.