PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i running weird

dblogo
02-17-2008, 06:10 PM
so i just bought this car 2 weeks ago and it has been driving great. i had a full diagnostic ran on it, and the only thing it needs is a new front O2 sensor. just got it out of the shop a few days ago and took it to wash it. dont know if it had anything to do with it, water in the tailpipe or what. probably not, but when i drove out of the car wash it drove fine for about a minute then started acting up. PROBLEMS: when i accelerate from a stop, it seems like it does not want to go. it will drive, but takes for ever to gain speed. then when it finally is at higher rpms it doesnt want to shift out of first. this happened for a whole day, then suddenly stopped. i have an automatic/manual switch. i put it in manual to be able to shift and it works now, but wont go back into auto. when ever i get out of the car it smells like its running hot. im trying to not drive it far, but have no choice. going to take it back to the shop on monday, but NEED TO HAVE A HEADS UP on what is going on.

Tiger
02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
I would stop driving the car now. I think there is a good possibility that your valve body of the transmission has jammed... engaging reverse and drive at the same time so you feel like you are not moving.

I had this problem but mine just won't let me move forward unless I really floor it, but then that only gives me crawling movement... feels like parking brake is on. Call Kirt Koeller... you can search his name and number... don't bother to email him... call him up directly.

Tiger
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
autohausaz.com and bmaparts.com are the two major source all of us use. My 540iA has been very reliable and very little maintenance since my ownership... 9 years.

Do all checks and replace all wear and tear parts and you will have a reliable and safe car... read my safety inspection topic... tons of info on this site to look up.

dblogo
02-19-2008, 11:37 AM
took it to the shop and they say it is the shift indicator switch. not to expensive, so we will see if that works. they did something for now, and it seems to drive fine. does the 95 540i have alot of problems when it gets up in miles or no? 177k and still runs strong, but would like to make it better. Do you know of anywhere to get good parts for tune up?