PDA

View Full Version : 540ia Gear Indicator issues...

MTechnik540i
02-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey folks,

We've been having some issues as of late with the 540i and the gear indicator that is displayed in the instrument cluster. It seems occasionally, whilst in "Drive" the D does not display, and it goes blank. Pulling the lever back slightly in "Drive" typically corrects it temporarily, but it's usually followed by the D going out almost immediately.

Wondering what's on it's way out, and what kind of job it is to replace.

TIA!

MTechnik540i
02-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey folks,

We've been having some issues as of late with the 540i and the gear indicator that is displayed in the instrument cluster. It seems occasionally, whilst in "Drive" the D does not display, and it goes blank. Pulling the lever back slightly in "Drive" typically corrects it temporarily, but it's usually followed by the D going out almost immediately.

Wondering what's on it's way out, and what kind of job it is to replace.

TIA!

Top.

dt8068
02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I had this same exact problem, where pulling the lever back a little bit made the D display again. just take off the wood shifter surround trim and underneath is a yellow thing next to the metal shifter arm. Remove the top cover of the plastic yellow thing and underneath is a bunch of flat electrical contacts that establish what the dash displays. Clean these contacts very well and it will display again.

MTechnik540i
02-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I had this same exact problem, where pulling the lever back a little bit made the D display again. just take off the wood shifter surround trim and underneath is a yellow thing next to the metal shifter arm. Remove the top cover of the plastic yellow thing and underneath is a bunch of flat electrical contacts that establish what the dash displays. Clean these contacts very well and it will display again.

Very cool!

I'll try this.