PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Mark's chip

DanDombrowski
05-21-2004, 09:52 AM
I installed the EAT chip today, and here's my discovery so far.

I can't say for sure that the car is faster, as I haven't ran it on a dyno nor have I run it at the track.....yet :) Moroso Motorsports park has a test and tune day tonight, but....I promised my girl I would drive over to tampa to visit her (the real reason all us guys have cars :)), so that will have to wait.

What I CAN say for sure is....

smoother accelleration, no flat spots
smoother idle, even in my M50 vanos motor
More torque. I went from a 1st-2nd gear "chirp" to 2nd gear wheelspin of about 3-4 seconds.

It does seem faster, but I really have nothing to back that up with other than the seat of the pants feel. I'll find out soon enough. 15 s qtrs here I come!

Oh, and everyone else's chip just got mailed out today.

ryan roopnarine
05-21-2004, 10:23 AM
brave man to install that thing while gas prices are so high. if my little canada trip didn't make my car so markedly better on gas with the chip (bg44k followed by techron with 2900 miles tends to burn out carbon i guess), i'd have temporarily dechipped by now. i'm not hearing any ping no mo' so i'll live dangerously and mix 89 and 93.

mholbrook
05-21-2004, 10:59 AM
In my experience the installation of a chip increases gas mileage, not decreases it. Only your right foot may cause a decrease in mileage.

We have some of the cheapest gas in the world anyway. Compare to Asia or Europe. Even if the chip were to cause a 10-15% decrease in mileage, that would equate to only a couple hundred dollars a year versus about 15,000 miles and 300 - 500 HOURS of driving enjoyment.

Finally, if paying $3.00 or $4.00 a gallon for preimum would help get the gas hog SUV's and pickups etc off the road, count me in.

andyman32
05-21-2004, 11:53 AM
I didn't notice any appreciable change for the better OR worse with the chip in, but my car's fuel economy doesn't have very far to go in the downward direction. Bah. :-\ And...

Finally, if paying $3.00 or $4.00 a gallon for preimum would help get the gas hog SUV's and pickups etc off the road, count me in.

I DEFINITELY second that. :)

Dick Schneiders
05-21-2004, 01:55 PM
In my experience the installation of a chip increases gas mileage, not decreases it. Only your right foot may cause a decrease in mileage.

We have some of the cheapest gas in the world anyway. Compare to Asia or Europe. Even if the chip were to cause a 10-15% decrease in mileage, that would equate to only a couple hundred dollars a year versus about 15,000 miles and 300 - 500 HOURS of driving enjoyment.

ryan roopnarine
05-21-2004, 02:08 PM
wasn't trying to start anything....i live in the same town as dan and don't find it particularly appetizing to put in name brand 93 gas for 2.3x+ right now. and i certainly wouldn't remove it now, as the cleaning qualities of such a long trip have me getting 29 mpg at 70 with ac on 50% right now. without the chip, i MIGHT get 29 if i drove at 55 with no ac for at least two or three hours.

TimGinCentralNJ
05-21-2004, 02:12 PM
... I'm personally not a big fan of premium costing well over $2.30/gallon, OR people who drive like a-holes (SUVs or BMWs alike). I will say the mileage I get on my Expedition when "dainty" on the pedal, ain't that far off from that of my 5'er does when I'm "not-so-dainty" on the pedal (e.g. most of the time), so be careful what you wish for! :)

Tim G
'91 535i D'Sylva-powered

Dick Schneiders
05-21-2004, 03:03 PM
getting also, Ryan. I used to get around 27 or a bit less before installing the EAT chip. My other 1991 525i, that my wife drives, is unchipped and is lucky to get 26 mpg on the highway.

Is your 93 octane gas based on different standards than our gas out here in the plains? The highest rating we have available is 91 octane, but that seems to work just fine and since my 1991's are not Vanos M50's, they already required 91 octane.

I don't like paying just over $2 a gallon for 91 octane, but it is still cheap compared to most of the world.

wasn't trying to start anything....i live in the same town as dan and don't find it particularly appetizing to put in name brand 93 gas for 2.3x+ right now. and i certainly wouldn't remove it now, as the cleaning qualities of such a long trip have me getting 29 mpg at 70 with ac on 50% right now. without the chip, i MIGHT get 29 if i drove at 55 with no ac for at least two or three hours.

califblue
05-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Hey it's is only money :p ...you get more next week :D

Live Life, Have Fun remember there is no encore and we are really not here that long anyway

mholbrook
05-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Premium is about $2.55 a gallon here in San Diego. Your BMW calls for premium with or without chip.

Brian C.
05-21-2004, 03:57 PM
BOY......you talkin' blasfomee! Is'nt it about time for those every-other-weekend trips to Cresent Beach yet? You gotta set your priorities young man.

Brian C.
'04 PT turbo
'95 525ia...R.I.P

Ken from Guam
05-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey it's is only money :p ...you get more next week :D

Live Life, Have Fun remember there is no encore and we are really not here that long anyway

might as well spend it before somebody else does it for ya hehehe.....

Dick Schneiders
05-21-2004, 09:12 PM
and later 525i works fine on regular gas. The non-Vanos ones, like mine, do require premium with or without a performance chip.

Premium is about $2.55 a gallon here in San Diego. Your BMW calls for premium with or without chip.