PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the radio. Who makes a good one?

Kibokojoe
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
I want to replace the original radio (cassette) with a new HD radio with a CD player. Who makes a good one. I know there are shorts in the speaker wires so I plan on running all new wires and installing new speakers. Need some advice on a clean retrofit. These 535i sure have a lot of speaker. Ten if I am counting correctly.....

gmannino
02-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Try searching this forum or the car audio section of bimmerforums.com. Plenty of articles and threads on BMW replacement radios.

bad_manners_god
02-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I want to replace the original radio (cassette) with a new HD radio with a CD player. Who makes a good one. I know there are shorts in the speaker wires so I plan on running all new wires and installing new speakers. Need some advice on a clean retrofit. These 535i sure have a lot of speaker. Ten if I am counting correctly.....

I just recently Finished installing my sound system after having ripped out all the old wires, power, ground, amplifier, remote, acc, speaker wires, etc etc and just ran new wires for it, didnt take much since the jbl speakers i got (P552) have the tweater built in and comes with the crossover for it.

I just ran new wires:

1 Constant Power Wire
1 Ground Wire
1 Accesory Wire (From the Fuse Box under the hood - Fuse #18 - Radio)
1 Remote Wire from Amplifier
4 Pos/Neg Speaker Wires
1 Left/Right RCA Cable

I don't need the Radio Wire so I didn't include that. And I replaced the stock head-unit with a Panasonic CQ-VD7005U (Single DIN - DVD, MP3, 7" Monitor)

As for the rest of the system:

4 Gauge Power Wire
4 Gauge Ground Wire
16 Gauge Subwoofer Wires
150A Fuse
4000W Lanzar Amplifier (2000RMS)
1800W JBL GTO1204BP-D (Dual 12" Enclosure - 600RMS)
1 Farad Stinger Capacitor

genphreak
02-17-2008, 07:21 AM
Easiest thing is a 5-shannel amp feeding the factory wires from the boot. The only difficult bit is splicing into the factory amp/dedicated crossover unit to get at them. One removes the booster amp altegther and wire the 4 outputs from the new power amp instead. The subwoofer can connect direct from the 5th channel as you will most likley mount that in the trunk anyhow.

To get the audio signal to the power amp you can take the wires that used to feed the speaker signals from the old dash unit... they go in twisted wire pairs to the (now gutted) booster amp, You can use the factory wires behind the radio if you splice in your own RCA Connectors behind the dash and also where your new amp connects.

Many people run a new shielded low-level wire instead (ie 4xRCA-4xRCA), down the console, under the carpet and through the rear seat into the trunk. Both work well.

After that, you're done. BTW; the factroy speakers are very good, as is the factory crossover, so changing them out takes a lot of time and adds a lot of extra cost... just search for the details- others have posted about it as well as me...

To power the new amp you have to run a new 40A (or more) cable for ground and constant battery, (from the batter under the rear seat through to the trunk, so make sure you fuse it at the battery end). There is already an auto power on wire going to the booster that you can use as a remote on/off lead from the radio. :) Nick

Kibokojoe
02-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Great got any pics?

v4tuna
02-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Try this link for a start Attack eagle has great info and pics

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686749&referrerid=56200

v4tuna
02-18-2008, 03:14 PM
http://forums.bimmerlounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=162

healtoeit
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
I just replaced my sound system as well. I replaced the receiver and redid all the wiring. I did not replace the speakers, they are in great shape. The amp in my car was old so I took it out and I'm using the receiver's built in amp and it sounds 10x better then my old system. Now, the old sound system I am referring to is a custom sound system one of the previous owners put in around 1994. The wiring was 1/3 stock and a Frankenstein job throughout the rest. Their were crossovers built into my rear speakers and the font speakers had ones put in as well.
My receiver is
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=500IDAX001&tp=5684
Highly suggested! works really well w/ my ipod
I do have to say that running new wires is a pain in the A$$ but it can be done! Also, If you do it yourself be ready to have you car torn apart for a couple of weeks.
thats my 2 cents.