PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting Remote IR wiring on 3 pin model

Bo525i
02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Ok, so I have the EC mirror and it works perfectly but IŽd like the mirrors builtin IR controlunit and receiver to work too.. Even tho my model 9/92 supposedly should work with the IR, I only have the 3 pin EC mirror wiring under the headlining and here comes my question:

Is it possible to retrofit the missing 6 wires (or at least the ones for the central lock connection to the IR controller and receiver) somehow and if so.. How Žn where?

Anyone?

attack eagle
02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
which electrochromatic do you have?

my e46 mirror has an LED in the clown nose not an IR reciever.
9/92 uses an RF Alpine alarm system, not IR.

my 6 /92 Touring was so equipped.

love the wheels BTW

Bo525i
02-17-2008, 05:18 AM
My EC mirror is off a 90Žties something E38, I opened it up and its all in there. Yours is much newer and they obviously changed something.. ;)

According to E34 history, the model changed in Sept 92: vanos, alarm system, some wiring etc.. MineŽs from 92-09-03, IŽve got the vanos and other "new" model stuff.
Check the pic below:

Anyway, what I really wanna know is: Is it possible to wire the mirror up or is it near impossible to do?

Thx, wheels are Schnitzer II 8,5 17" :)

attack eagle
02-17-2008, 01:40 PM
There is no reason to go BACK to the $hitty IR system.

And the car shouldn't have IR alarm in it anyway. Those were el ghetto craptastics, and they were history by 92... my 3/92 had rf already. if yours does have one, then you have the ir reciever on the dash already. The only possible reason to want it is the switchblade remote...

Wiring the mirror in is easy. check bf.c, I posted all the colors and pins up a while back. on e38s some have the sensor and some don't. most others use the clown just for led.

you have a 3 wire mirror harness. anything else (led for example) will be custom wired by you...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10211022#post10211022

Bo525i
02-18-2008, 04:59 AM
There is no reason to go BACK to the $hitty IR system.

And the car shouldn't have IR alarm in it anyway. Those were el ghetto craptastics, and they were history by 92... my 3/92 had rf already. if yours does have one, then you have the ir reciever on the dash already. The only possible reason to want it is the switchblade remote...

Wiring the mirror in is easy. check bf.c, I posted all the colors and pins up a while back. on e38s some have the sensor and some don't. most others use the clown just for led.

you have a 3 wire mirror harness. anything else (led for example) will be custom wired by you...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10211022#post10211022

Thx for the help and link Attack :)