PDA

View Full Version : help, so many transmissions

pmanmaro
02-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Can someone please help me id the trans in my car. I have a 1995 530i. There is no dip stick. The manual says use Dexron II. I keep reading stuff about a "lifetime" fluid wich I have a hard time accepting. I am compelled to change the fluid but dont know what trans I have.

Thanks to all

yaofeng
02-14-2008, 06:11 AM
C'mon.. You owned a few bimmers and you still don't have the Bentley manual? If you are too cheap to buy one there have been many an occasion people posted link so you can download one for free.

glen-sj
02-14-2008, 09:45 AM
My 1995 530ia has a A5S310Z, it does not have lifetime fluid. I've used Redline D4 synthetic (D4 ATF). If draining the pan only, it'll take about 3.2 QT. To change the fluid on this A/T is a little tricky, since the drain plug and fill plug are both on bottom of the pan.

Use this website www.realoem.com and enter the vin number to be find out which one is on your car. I believe there is only one AT.

Here is another website www.e38.org/e34/ with the procedure to properly check and fill this transmission along with lots of other information.

Hope this help. Good Luck.

Tiger
02-14-2008, 09:55 AM
What fluid did you use?

RallyD
02-14-2008, 11:26 AM
probably the dumbest part of servicing the vehicle yourself is the damn fill/drain.
Its a 17mm hex key also.
Who thought it was a good idea to fill from the bottom????
That and the trans has to be a a specific temp to get the level right as fluid will begin to spill out at this temperature. I estimated with mine and made a gigantic mess.
It just doesn't shift the same now.
I would suggest you avoid the headache and pay $100 or whatever at the dealer to have this service done.

I can't stand automatics, and will be dumping this gem real soon.

pmanmaro
02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
C'mon.. You owned a few bimmers and you still don't have the Bentley manual? If you are too cheap to buy one there have been many an occasion people posted link so you can download one for free.

Hey take it easy man. I definately have the Bentley for my e30s. I just bought this one and have not got the Bentley for it yet. I am not too cheap just have not gotten to it yet.

chris_e34
02-14-2008, 02:22 PM
The reason the fill plug is on the bottom of the pan is to prevent overfilling. with the car running you pump in as much fluid as you can , and stop when you see new fluid coming back down. if you do not have the tools, pay someone who does. it will save you tons of money in the end. plus being under a running car on jackstands with large equipment, without burning yourself will probably get real fun real quick.

mattyb
02-14-2008, 03:29 PM
There was a sizeable thread not that long ago, i think April of 2007, about the "lifetime issue". life time is essentially 100,000kms. the question is basically has your fluid been changed on a regular basis. if it has not and you change all of the fluid in one go chances are you're going to kill it.

There were some options such as changing a bit at a time so the new fluid is gradually introduced and avoiding a catastrophic failure. I was of the belief that lifetime was life time however my box frigged up eventaully at 240k and needed a rebuild.

Do a search and maybe start with "lifetime gearbox fluid" it was a very detailed and substantail thread that I learnt a lot from. Do not do anything until you have read the thread.

Cheers

MattyB

whiskychaser
02-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Can someone please help me id the trans in my car. I have a 1995 530i. There is no dip stick. The manual says use Dexron II. I keep reading stuff about a "lifetime" fluid wich I have a hard time accepting. I am compelled to change the fluid but dont know what trans I have.

Thanks to all
There is a plate on the side of the tranny that tells you what type it is. You may need a torch and a mirror on a stick. The colour of the plate gives you a clue about ATF - black is normally Dexron, Green is that lifelong stuff. Allegedly