PDA

View Full Version : M50 atf leak

Hozay
02-13-2008, 08:56 AM
My 94 525iT recently started droppping a bit of automatic transmission fluid. It only started recently, but has progressed into a bonafide leak.

I know it's not engine oil, because the consistency and colour is different to engine oil (which I know well!). Plus, it seems to clean off my friveway a lot easier than any oil stains ever have.

My car is fitted with the ZF 5 speed automatic.

There's alot of talk about main seals, oil pan gaskets etc when it comes to leaks, but none seem to discuss automatic trans fluid. Anyone have any idea?

glen-sj
02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Does your power steering uses A/T fluid? If yes, check the hoses connected to the bottom of the power steering reservor to see if the hoses and the area below the reservor is wet with the fluid. If it is. Then change the hose clamps to the worm screw type and clean the area off. The oem clamps loose its tension over time.

If the drip is directly under the transmission area, then it could be the seal or the pan gasket. Also check the drain plug and fill plug, these also have a washer, make sure these are tighten correctly. Clean off the area and inspect to see where the leak is coming from.

Jon K
02-13-2008, 10:57 AM
The power steering also uses ATF so check your hoses. On an M50 car its easy, look around the air cleaner on the frame rail and poke your head under the car. Check the banjo bolts at the power steering pump.

Hozay
02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
What up? Well, I was wrong it seems. Leak was actually courtesy of the rocker cover gasket. Such a simple thing.

Turns out my engine oil has held up so well since its last change, it made me think it was atf fluid, as it was still in as new condition. The oil was runnning all the way from the rocker cover, down the back of the block and striaght into the housing situated between the motor and the tranny.

Got the gasket replaced and I have a clean vehicle again. I'm a happy man.