PDA

View Full Version : Need to remove the BMW Roundell, any ideas?

leicesterboy15
02-13-2008, 04:19 AM
My badge seems to have let in water so I've bought a new one but how do I get the old one off without damaging the paint? Will a small screwdriver with some cloth protecting the paint while exercising the exact opposite of Ferretrage TM do it? :p

I'm not good with patience, or fiddly things, is there a more scientific method?

Omega
02-13-2008, 05:09 AM
There are three prongs locating the badge in three rubber grommets. A cloth protected thin screwdriver or padded hacksaw blade will suffice to pop it off. As it were... :D

If it's letting in water I suspect the grommets are either buggered or missing.

[edited for typos] Typing with broken fingers plays hell with your keyboard skillz.

Brandon J
02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
a plastic car body filler spreader will do it
Plastic is always good. I have used the pesky plastic packaging on everything electronic nowadays. You know the ones that are thick and are a pain to get open, they are nice and sturdy. I cut one to shape to get underneath the Roundel to lift the Roundel up slightly. Then I used a small screw driver with a shop rag to protect the paint. This technique allows the Roundel to be re-used as the plastic packaging does not ruin the badge.

Good Luck.

nizmainiac
02-13-2008, 09:14 AM
a plastic car body filler spreader will do it

Brandon J
02-13-2008, 09:14 PM
This is what the dealer recommends doing. Just without the screw driver. I pulled up straight and with a firm pull it came right out with no paint damage.

A buddy of mine, that I went to UTI with, is a tech at a BMW dealer. He said he uses the plastic body panel remover. Some roundels are easy enough to pull straight up; the 6 I have done were harder. Whatever technique works, I think there are enough here if people need to do a search later.

Atl530i
02-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Plastic is always good. I have used the pesky plastic packaging on everything electronic nowadays. You know the ones that are thick and are a pain to get open, they are nice and sturdy. I cut one to shape to get underneath the Roundel to lift the Roundel up slightly. Then I used a small screw driver with a shop rag to protect the paint. This technique allows the Roundel to be re-used as the plastic packaging does not ruin the badge.

Good Luck.

This is what the dealer recommends doing. Just without the screw driver. I pulled up straight and with a firm pull it came right out with no paint damage.

leicesterboy15
02-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Thanks guys, its the actual badge that has the water damage, not where it attaches to the car (thankfully). I have never pulled a badge off and its a really silly way to end up scratching the paint so I thought I'd get opinions first, I'll give it a go this weekend, I bought this to replace it because I wanted a black and white one, I'm impressed with the quality, might have to swap the front one as well although I'll see how this one goes first!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-BOOT-BONNET-BADGE-E30-E34-E36-E46-E39-E90-Z3-Z4-E60_W0QQitemZ360022872708QQihZ023QQcategoryZ10374Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

leicesterboy15
02-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Yeah I had all black and white ones on my white e34, looked really good. I think if I go for all carbon it might look a bit tacky so I might stick with the plain B&W wheel centres like yours (also on MPars!). Any pics?

nizmainiac
02-14-2008, 06:56 AM
i've got black and white ones, not with the carbon weave though, i got 7 of them, enough to do bonnet,boot,steering wheel and centre caps on my m-pars, i got those from ebay, and they look real good against my delphin grey paint

nizmainiac
02-14-2008, 08:15 AM
all i've got pic wise at the moment is one of the front end, but you can't really see the roundell, when the weather gets better and i can get out and wash it i'll take some new ones and pm you to let you know