PDA

View Full Version : Anyone around from the Roadfly (Roadflea) days?

Dave M
02-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Ah, yes... the good ol' days...There's still some of us lurking around, but not like it was back then. Some have moved on, and others have found other interests. Most of us still check the board even if we don't offer up a post, lets see how many of us we can remember.....

Phil Coppin
Tim Collins
Quinten Pinner
Geoff Hoad
Gordon Lawson
Shaky Joe (his pictures were always out of focus) ...=)
Bill Rickard
George Mann
Marcus (in Indiana)

Gee, now my head hurts from trying to remember others, I know there's plenty others I've left out, not on purpose mind you, jus' cause I'm too old and tired to try to remember them....=)

JR

At quick glance, it appears Phil Collins was among us ;)

I've not been around nearly that long (2003), but have 'conversed' with a few of them there oldies.

Dave M

632 Regal
02-12-2008, 09:37 PM
I just missed that boat by a few months.

JohnC
02-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I used to be on all time. probably since 1999 or 2000. I remember this board from Roadfly and then it moved to another board and finally here. Used to lurk around but now that my E30 is basically done and I am bored with driving the truck. (04 F150) I'm going to start dumping money into the E34 again. Just wanted to see if theres some of the really old guys still around.

Jr ///M5
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Ah, yes... the good ol' days...There's still some of us lurking around, but not like it was back then. Some have moved on, and others have found other interests. Most of us still check the board even if we don't offer up a post, lets see how many of us we can remember.....

Phil Coppin
Tim Collins
Quinten Pinner
Geoff Hoad
Gordon Lawson
Bill Rickard
George Mann
Marcus (in Indiana)

Gee, now my head hurts from trying to remember others, I know there's plenty others I've left out, not on purpose mind you, jus' cause I'm too old and tired to try to remember them....=)

JR

shogun
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
When I was banned as shogun there long time ago, most of the E32 owners moved out there out of protest against their system to Bimmerboard E32 forum. E34 on RF is also 'empty' now, some from here sometimes post there to help out, same like a certain 'highline' ;)
I just feel sorry for the guys asking there for help and do not know other boards where they can get help.

JohnC
02-12-2008, 10:43 PM
I remember a lot of those names JR. Most of those guys sold their cars? Did bruno get rid of his? I saw Tim Collins' car about 2 years ago but I think hes into driving around 3s now.

Litespeed
02-12-2008, 11:56 PM

Phil Coppin
Tim Collins
Quinten Pinner
Geoff Hoad
Gordon Lawson
Bill Rickard
George Mann
Marcus (in Indiana)

JR

Brian (C?) who betrayed us all and bought a fscking PT Cruiser.
Micah
Bill Sours (Touring hatch wiring guru)
Matt, with his gorgeous imported M5T
Me, Peter W

Had to be more... can't remember at the moment. I miss all you guys. :)

Peter

DrewZ
02-13-2008, 04:53 AM
Present, but mostly a lurker, and looking to move up a weight class into an E38. Micah is still around too, but in E46-land. A whole lot has changed since the bimmer.org days, but I'm still young, fit and a sucker for a nice set of wheels. ;)

I used to be on all time. probably since 1999 or 2000. I remember this board from Roadfly and then it moved to another board and finally here. Used to lurk around but now that my E30 is basically done and I am bored with driving the truck. (04 F150) I'm going to start dumping money into the E34 again. Just wanted to see if theres some of the really old guys still around.

Bill R.
02-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Pacific Northwest? If so , I didn't know your new nom de plume....
Good to see you.
A number of them still post occasionly like myself. Russian boy is still around under a different name. Tiger is still around. Rory and Sean H. i don't see here anymore. Paul Gray is around once in awhile and selling more of his bushings. Jeff N. and Martin are both still around. Scott H is still around. Josh Gore is still around. Nick Panish i'm not sure about. Warren Gregoire still posts once in awhile. Adnan just posted the other day. Paul Shovestul still posts. Don Gale still posts. I don't see shragon,Rob or Callen posting anymore. Many many others who dont come to mind right this second

Brian (C?) who betrayed us all and bought a fscking PT Cruiser.
Micah
Bill Sours (Touring hatch wiring guru)
Matt, with his gorgeous imported M5T
Me, Peter W

Had to be more... can't remember at the moment. I miss all you guys. :)

Peter

scott540
02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I started out there. Hard to believe I've had the 540 since 1999.

Litespeed
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Good to see you.
A number of them still post occasionly like myself. Russian boy is still around under a different name. Tiger is still around. Rory and Sean H. i don't see here anymore. Paul Gray is around once in awhile and selling more of his bushings. Jeff N. and Martin are both still around. Scott H is still around. Josh Gore is still around. Nick Panish i'm not sure about. Warren Gregoire still posts once in awhile. Adnan just posted the other day. Paul Shovestul still posts. Don Gale still posts. I don't see shragon,Rob or Callen posting anymore. Many many others who dont come to mind right this second

This is turning into a virtual reunion. :)

Yep, that's me. Hi Bill, it's great to see you too. You have an impressive memory, wow those names bring it all back. We had some memorable "discussions" about street racing, "ricers", e34 vs. e39 styling to mention but a few. You helped me with so much stuff..... you still have your shop?

I still have the '92 525iT, 208K miles now (on its second transmission & driveshaft). Donated the 535 to my local public radio station last year, and just last week got my "new" '99 540iT (black/tan, style 5s, 67K miles, Sport package) which I'm enjoying. It's a very different car.

Regards,
Peter

Phil Sanderson
02-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Just wanted to see if theres some of the really old guys still around.
...and I'm really old!

regards
Phil (PhilS on roadfly)

Jeff N.
02-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Good memory there Bill.

Imelda! Wow...what a nice surprise! Still have the M5 brakes off the 540/6.

Atl530i
02-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I used to be on there back on 2002-2003 lurking and posting sometimes when I first got my E34.

Robert K
02-13-2008, 11:47 PM
That was a long time ago. I still check this board from time to time, but having been married for five years now (5 years on Feb. 16th), my focus has moved away from my 1991 535i. I still like to look at it, but the 1997 V-6 Camry I inherited from my wife actually drives a lot better than the BMW. Plus, it gets a lot better gas mileage (BMW- 23 mpg max highway, Camry- 30+ mpg highway) and has a lot tighter steering, is smoother, quieter, etc., etc. In fact, I've got my BMW for sale now. I'd love to get a 2000-2002 528i Sport, but I'm too damn practical to not buy another Toyota or Honda. I've got my eye on a newer Camry hybrid eventually. The darn things pull 35-40 mpg both city and highway. With the price of gas, it's just too hard not to be concerned with fuel mileage nowadays. Anyway, it was good to see a lot of the old names in this thread. Hope everyone's doing well.

Robert K
1991 535i

Paul in NZ
02-13-2008, 11:49 PM
I miss Q the most....sniff...i missed the other board i must have started soon after you moved over

zmuff
02-14-2008, 09:10 AM
I started hanging out at Roadfly around 1999...it's definitely changed alot since then. I hardly ever visit anymore. When I discovered Bimmernut, it was still the older format. I truly enjoyed the humorous banter between the wide grill and the narrow grill folks. I think it was finally decided that the narrow grill was better on the track due to reduced aerodynamics or something like that. Where is George Mann? One knowledgeable dude.

DrewZ
02-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Imelda! Wow...what a nice surprise! Still have the M5 brakes off the 540/6.

Glad to hear it. I've been spending a lot of time in my E30 with half the hp of my wagon. I'm already eyeing up brake upgrades for the E38 that I don't yet own. (Imelda already went and bought a set of 17" BBS RKs for a car she doesn't yet have. ;) )

JohnC
02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
There was also Doris that thought her 190E was so much better than any E34 while I would probably pick a 518i over that car.

I still have my 525ia. It is need of some work though, I have all the usual stuff; twisted seats, door cards comming off. But the engine still pulls and easily cruises at 100 everytime I drive it. Maybe next year I will use my tax refund to redo the interior. This year Im going to work on the suspension. But lately Ive been daily driving my E30. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/lilalvin/Photo_083107_0061.jpg

tdgard
02-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Yepper. Moved over in the first couple of weeks after e-mailing Bruno to figure out where the hell everybody went.

gale
02-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Let us not forget Alan S :(

and whatever happened to "Nickel_Fork"?

Alexlind123
02-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I think i came a bit after that...wheres UKM5 been anyways?

Jr ///M5
02-20-2008, 06:09 PM
This group/site has a lot of history together, over the past 10 years I've spent on the boards have found friendships, get togethers, car shows, (both real and virtual) and some of the best BMW mechanics in the nation who were willing to help anyone that asked without reservation.

My M5 sold yesterday, and while I'm still a part of this community, there probably will not be another E34 for me. I've owned the 535i for 5 years and the M5 for almost 6....I loved every minute of it. It's not saying good-bye to the car that would hurt the most (although my heart was in my shoes as I watched it drive away down the winding road with the ever so distinctive exhaust note singing in the distance)....no that wouldn't be the hard part, the hard part would be the relationships that have developed over the years with this group of people. So the M5 is no longer in the picture, but my long standing friendships are, isn't that what it's all about? The E34 is our common bond, and the friends we make along the way are the people that make up this board.

JR

Fetch
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I used to lurk on the e32 section of RoadFly, when I had an e32

Robin-535im
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
My M5 sold yesterday,

Hey Whoa WHAT!?

Man... times they are a changin'.

I didn't know she was up for sale Jr., I remember you did some head work recently but I didn't hear the news that the m5 was up for sale. Seems like just yesterday we were reading your "I just hit a deer" thread - that was probably 4 years ago? 5?

Jr ///M5
02-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah....I went and did it. Scott H. and I had a long talk about a month ago and I explained the situation to him. Usually, when I have threatened to sell it, Scott would talk me down out of the tree, this time he knew it was going to happen.

I refuse to drive it in the salt/snow covered roads. I wouldn't drive it in the rain either. The winters last 4 months or more here and it would make me sad to see it just sit there....I would squeeze in a drive here and there when winter rains washed off the salt and the temperatures were above freezing, that's what kept me going. This year Aubrey starts college, he's been driving the 318iS and he loves it. That used to be the car that would keep the M5 in hibernation. Suddenly, I find myself without transportation....so the question of the year is....."What comes after an M5?".....it's a hard act to follow. The car would have been 18 years old this March 21....

I was thinking about a 330 convertible.....or maybe a 740i Sport 2001 model....hmmm, tough decision. You got any suggestions Robin?

Robin-535im
02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
You got any suggestions Robin?

Just one...

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=235937042

:)

DrewZ
02-22-2008, 03:20 AM
I was thinking about a 330 convertible.....or maybe a 740i Sport 2001 model....hmmm, tough decision. You got any suggestions Robin?

I'm aiming for a 740i Sport when my Touring sells. It seems like the next logical progression from an E34. It's the last of the classically good-looking BMWs, and a 6-speed swap would be a relatively simple way to add some extra sport performance to a car that already looks and drives well.

MicahO
02-22-2008, 05:10 PM
So what ever happened to HENRY FORD? That guy was a lot of fun.

Geez guys, I'm getting all teary-eyed here. Jr actually sold the eM. I thought I heard a distant scream last weekend. Now I know why I should have been lurking more. That was a car worth keeping.

Bill doesn't forget anything. I don't think it's in his constitution.

I'm still in the ZHP. If they ever do anything neat to the 135 (Concept Tii anyone?) I'll hit it. Until then my car is just too well balanced to think about anything else.

My e34 fallback? My old Touring is in my niece's garage, and I'll buy it back from her someday, provided she doesn't kill it first. By then it will be begging for an S52 and a stick.

It is nice to see the old names...... Miss you guys, in spite of myself.

Jeff N.
02-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Good to see you drop by too Micah. :)

So what ever happened to HENRY FORD? That guy was a lot of fun.

Geez guys, I'm getting all teary-eyed here. Jr actually sold the eM. I thought I heard a distant scream last weekend. Now I know why I should have been lurking more. That was a car worth keeping.

Bill doesn't forget anything. I don't think it's in his constitution.

I'm still in the ZHP. If they ever do anything neat to the 135 (Concept Tii anyone?) I'll hit it. Until then my car is just too well balanced to think about anything else.

My e34 fallback? My old Touring is in my niece's garage, and I'll buy it back from her someday, provided she doesn't kill it first. By then it will be begging for an S52 and a stick.

It is nice to see the old names...... Miss you guys, in spite of myself.

MicahO
02-23-2008, 03:48 AM
Good to see you drop by too Micah. :)

Hey Jeff - it's great to see your sig and remember how much fun can be had with one of these cars. I may not (*may*) go back to an e34, though the e46 is a great platform to start with. It's been great having a car that was so useable right out of the box, and all the upgrades so far have been fairly minor - UUC Sways and a strut bar (gotta have some bling on top for the bars on the bottom?), tranny mounts and get rid of the CDV. And a lot more maintenance than BMW's 'free' plan. For 'just' a 330, the thing has scoot. I've got a rear end in the garage waiting for a trip out to MM. And with 60K coming up, the big question is what do I do for shocks, or just go for a PSS swap?

Drew completely corrupted me all those years ago, and I keep on buying wheels. Last summer I built 1200 feet worth of garage to store them and get some real work done.

Anyhow. I'm still in the junior stages of mods to this car. Looking at your laundry list I'm reminded how far I have to go!

shragon
03-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Good to see you.
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3474/wavesb7.gif

what's happening guys?!

i still drop by from time to time.

Brandon J
03-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm still here. We had our first e34 meet with guys from the ol' board. Then it got better and bigger with bimmer.info. Thanks Ed, another ol' member.